Which beer style is most associated with your nation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
If you were to choose a beer style that is most associated with your nation, be it historically or otherwise?

This could be a complex question, as an American my nation has always been associated with tasteless pilsners, like Miller or Budweiser, but we also are the birthplace of super-hopped west coast IPAs, as well as some historical rich amber ales. Maybe if you are Irish you may say Irish stouts are your calling card, or English, you may claim an ESB.

Whats your beer?

I was born in Hong Kong = San Miguel

(and yes, I know San Miguel is filipino, but was huge in HK before Carlsberg took over)

Well I am half Dutch and half French so probably Heineken and Grolsch (and Chardonnay)...none of which I am crazy about.

As a proud member of the HBT Nation, I choose homebrew. Often over hopped, sometimes oaked or soured, might have a high OG or be as subtle and delicate as a flower. Always distinctive. Sometimes disappointing but always full of love and brewer intent.

As an American, I might say Steam Beer, as that's about all we have that's original. I think we can actually lay claim to IPA nowadays, although the average guy on the street would say pale lager.

Having grown up a as a german-american just a stone's throw from Shiner, TX and the great Spoetzl Brewery. I am a Bock man! Although, their Hefe is good enough for me to be a Hefe man!

Maybe I should brew a Weizenbock next........

I was born in Hong Kong = San Miguel

(and yes, I know San Miguel is filipino, but was huge in HK before Carlsberg took over)

Oh, San Miguel, Drank a lot of that stuff when I was Southwest Asia, along with Singha & Tiger. Good Times.

I have dutch ancestry, but I'm pretty much a mutt, guess I'm with Tonedef on this one, Heinekin and Grolsch???Blech:drunk:

As an American, I might say Steam Beer, as that's about all we have that's original. I think we can actually lay claim to IPA nowadays, although the average guy on the street would say pale lager.

Yeah, there's new American Ales....but I'd also say that steam beer is the first true American style (and not the German lagers that immigrants brought). I'm a mutt: mom's side is English/Scottish (so I do like English ales, Irish stouts, and scotch). My dad's side is mainly Russian Jew (with a few Austrian Jews)....so vodka, and come to think of it....a good Russian Imperial is my favorite (and hey, since I have some English as well....that maybe makes it very appropriate)!

But since I am a mix, I'm American through and through....so I also like hoppy beers. Maybe I'm not as much of a fan of Belgian beers or German lagers because I don't have any ancestors from there. I do have some relatives from Austria though....so that might explain why I like Dos Equis (the only true Vienna lager these days). I never thought about my beer preferences as being from my bloodlines :)

I cant say I ever met a porter I have liked, but that this sounds marvelous. I wonder if I can find one here.

You can make one! Oh, I should post this great Baltic Porter recipe I tried....it's very well balanced, with dark chocolate notes:

All grain version (assuming 85% effeciency):

Target OG: 1.080, FG: 1.018, IBU 28 5 gallon batch

7#pilsner malt
4#Munich Malt
1#Caramunich Malt
12 oz German black Caraffe Malt
12 oz Aromatic Malt
8 oz chocolate Malt
3/4 oz Northern Brewer hops 8% Alpha(90 minute boil)
3/4 oz Liberty hops 5% Alpha (20 minute boil)
1 oz Santiam hops (1 minute boil)
Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast or WLP830 White Labs German Lager yeast

Step infusion, 30 mins 135, 30 mins 153 degrees (or single mash at 153)

Ferment at 55 degrees F (12.5 C), lager at 35-45 degrees for 3-6 weeks.

Extract:

9# amber malt extract
1# Caramunch Malt
1# aromatic malt
12 oz German Black Caraffe malt
8 oz chocolate malt
1 oz Northern Brewer hops 8%AA (60 minute boil)
3/4 oz Liberty hops 5%AA (20 minute boil)
1 oz Santium hops (1 minute boil)
Danish or German lager yeast

steep grains for 45 minutes, drain, add extract and hops then do your hop boils. Ferment just like grain recipe.

Unfortunately America is most associated with a 50% water 50% piss mixture...but at least it's triple hopped! Thanks Miller! Luckily, America also boasts world class craft brews and damned good beers coming out of the garages of HBT members.:mug:

a murder victim of the brewing industry, beers with a flat, lifeless body which the locals think are great quality but are actually completely horrible mass produced ****.

You can make one! Oh, I should post this great Baltic Porter recipe I tried....it's very well balanced, with dark chocolate notes:

All grain version (assuming 85% effeciency):

Target OG: 1.080, FG: 1.018, IBU 28 5 gallon batch

7#pilsner malt
4#Munich Malt
1#Caramunich Malt
12 oz German black Caraffe Malt
12 oz Aromatic Malt
8 oz chocolate Malt
3/4 oz Northern Brewer hops 8% Alpha(90 minute boil)
3/4 oz Liberty hops 5% Alpha (20 minute boil)
1 oz Santiam hops (1 minute boil)
Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast or WLP830 White Labs German Lager yeast

Step infusion, 30 mins 135, 30 mins 153 degrees (or single mash at 153)

Ferment at 55 degrees F (12.5 C), lager at 35-45 degrees for 3-6 weeks.

Extract:

9# amber malt extract
1# Caramunch Malt
1# aromatic malt
12 oz German Black Caraffe malt
8 oz chocolate malt
1 oz Northern Brewer hops 8%AA (60 minute boil)
3/4 oz Liberty hops 5%AA (20 minute boil)
1 oz Santium hops (1 minute boil)
Danish or German lager yeast

steep grains for 45 minutes, drain, add extract and hops then do your hop boils. Ferment just like grain recipe.

My God sir, you are a hero amongst men! I had my first Baltic Porter today, and it was absolutely amazing! The immensely knowledgeable beer man at my local BevMo zeroed me into some outstanding baltic porters, one being Zywiec, and the other Okocim. I drank the Zywiec and I was blown away! So much so I went online to see what kind of kits I could buy online, and here you are bringing a fine recipe to me. I'm pleased.

Thank you Poland.

My grandparents emigrated to the U.S. from Lithuania in 1906, but I've never been there, so the following is taken from an on-line assessment entitled "Sviekata" (History of Lithuanian Beers) by someone yclept "Vytis," which translates as "The Knight," and in Lithuanian terms, is kind of like someone here signing something "Uncle Sam."

In general, Lithuania produces lots of beers, historically going back a thousand years. The current situation appears to be a matter of being in recovery from the Soviet years -occupation or whatever you want to call it- when most investment was in vodka distilleries (surprise, surprise). The big downer in the current recovery appears to be that there is a huge influence of foreign investment, coupled with a move to fewer and more homogeneous beers (what we would call "BMC" beers).

A few excerpts:

"Historically, brewing in Lithuania dates back to the 11th century. As in western and central Europe, monks’ beer brewed in monasteries and alewives’ beer brewed in the cottage kitchen eventually gave way to beer produced by commercial breweries.

"In Lithuania today, the largest breweries are Kalnapilis, established in Panevezys in 1902; Svyturys, established in Klaipeda in 1784; Utenos Alus, established in Utena in 1977; Ragutis, established in Kaunas in 1853; Vilniaus Tauras, located in Vilnius; and Gubernija, established in Siauliai in 1786. The major breweries produce about 50 different brands of beer, both light-colored and dark with consumers preferring the paler-colored beers. There are also about 300 regional breweries which produce dark “village beer” chiefly in the northern region of Birzai as well as in other regions of Lithuania. Most Lithuanian brewed beer is consumed in Lithuania. Very little is exported. Kaliningrad, at one time, was the chief foreign market, but stiff excise taxes dried up the Russian demand. Currently, Latvia is the major importer of Lithuanian beer.

"While Lithuania was still a part of the U.S.S.R., Soviets invested in vodka distilleries rather than in beer breweries located on Lithuanian soil; thus, when vodka plants were getting modernized, many Lithuanian breweries were producing beer with old, outdated equipment. During 1970-90, one major brewery, Kalnapilis, replaced virtually all of its old equipment and modernized its operation, but Kalnapilis was the exception rather than the rule.

"As Svyturys is the only large Lithuanian brewery existing today which does not rely on foreign investment to run its operation, it still retains its own formulas and manages to produce a distinctive Lithuanian beer. On the whole, it seems that Lithuanians are slowly losing the unique taste of true Lithuanian beer which Audrius Vidzys, Vice-President of the Lithuanian Brewer’s Association, describes as 'a little more sweet than the foreign beers because it is less fermented, and some sugar still remains in it; it has more body.' Lithuanian beer typically contains about 20% sugar, foreign beers about 10%."

Skunky lager?? I'm originally from Mexico and everyone here associates Corona with Mexican beer. While Corona is not near as popular there as here, some of the other common beers are not much better. But there are some really good ones as well. Negra Modelo, Bohemia, and Indio are my favorite. I haven't lived there in over a decade, so there may be better choices now.

As an eighth generation Texan..I too must claim Shiner. I guess either that or Lone Star, but I do prefer Shiner. Historically my family is 1/2 mixed English, 1/4 Czech and 1/4 Italian. I love beer & red wine.

Macro lager -> Portugal. Unfortunately beer is seen as a alcoholic soft drink.

Well the US as a whole sucks in terms of taste thanks to freaking Budweiser. So i claim the west coast as my beer nation which is best known for super hoppy ipa's and hoppy amber's. =] west coast is the best

Yeah sadly, America is the home of watered down piss.

LMFAO. First time I went to the US./LA for a business trip and went into the Saddle Ranch on Sunset Blvd. Ordered a pint of Newcastle Brown and just about gagged on the fizzy, watery, lacking in any perceivable alcohol content, BASTARDIZATION, being touted as "BEER", that I received. Couldn't even down a whole pint of that guff.

Over the last few years, however, there, thankfully, has been a great many craft brew pubs springing up and that, in itself, has redeemed the US a great deal.

Being as I'm Born in Manchester, from parents hailing from east Yorkshire, grew up in Edinburgh and lived in London for a few years before coming to Japan:confused::confused::confused::D

I'd have to say, Alloah Brewery's 70 Shilling, Younger's tartan special, Tetley Bitter, Theakston's old peculiar. Fuller's ESB, Fuller's IPA:mug:

While I was born in the US, my ancestors came from Germany. In fact my last name means "barley trough"

I'm gonna go with the weizen.

As a Norwegian I have to say "Pils".
That's what all brands of domestic pale lager are called.
The Norwegian versions are for the most part slightly more tasteful than their more well known Scandinavian cousins Carlsberg and Tuborg from Denmark. 4.75% alc. and 20-30 IBU. The Reinheitsgebot were abolished in 1994 as the last country in the world. Most beers are still brewed by it.

Now we're in season for "Juleøl" og Christmas beer. Every brewery makes two versions of it. An "original" strong and a dumbed down 4.5% version.
They are copper to dark brown coloured malty lagers with medium bitterness and no hop flavour. Very yummy with Aquavit and heavy christmas food!

Latest posts

Back