A good fall brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So, I'm actually starting to think about waiting to brew my next batch until my first is completed and I can drink some so I get a feeling for what it is like and if I would like to do anything different. Having said this, my brew, which was started on June 6th, simple amber ale made with amber LME and cascade hops, should be ready around the 3rd week of July if I do the 123 plan. So the next batch would be started around the last week of july or beginning of august meaning it would be ready by sept.

Is there any really good fall brews you guys like? On the top of my head pumpkin ale would be okay, more difficult than I wanted. Oktoberfest might be good as well, but is Oktoberfest an ale or lager?

Oktoberfest is traditionally lagered.

Come fall, I like things that are malty or roasty. Maybe something like an old ale? Barleywine is nice for winter, might be a little young still for the fall. Maybe a Russian Imperial Stout. Something with a little sweetness to it and a lot of body.

I like brown ales for the fall. I am probably going to have 2 on tap this fall: an American and English version. Stouts and porters can really benefit from the aging for a couple months and are nice on a cool evening.

Oktoberfest is a lager, but you can make a really nice beer using an ale yeast: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39021

I brewed an Altbier last night that is going to be my fall beer. Oktoberfest is the best fall brew by far IMO, but if you can't lager then an Altbier may be the next best thing.

I brewed an Altbier last night that is going to be my fall beer. Oktoberfest is the best fall brew by far IMO, but if you can't lager then an Altbier may be the next best thing.

what is Altbier like? I saw it in the store but didn't try it yet. was wondering what an altbier is like

Buy a bottle and expand your horizons. There's whole world out there waiting for you to explore it.

Better yet, go to Düsseldorf!

I agree, if you can maintain the temps, a Alt or a California common beer would be great for the fall too.

I'd say a nice porter would work out well. You won't have to wait as long as a Barleywine and it won't be quite as full bodied as a stout. Maybe even a chocolate porter?

I am considering doing a Porter next and letting it age until fall. I love a good porter with chowder in cold weather.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68933

Here is a link to my Christmas Old Ale. I am still finalizing the recipe. The hops are up to 2 - 2.5 oz of fuglles. and I may take out the candi sugar. Not sure yet.

You could easily take out all of the spices and add some finishing hops. You would need 10-11lbs of DME; You could steep the munich, crystal, and chocolate malt. You may also be able to get rid of the Munich malt.

Another choice would be a nut brown ale. I love them in the fall (Goose Island style)

hmm all this talk makes me want to do one now for fall. Maybe biermunchers oktoberfast with some cultured pacman yeast and ferment it at around 60F?

I'd recommend a malty amber/dark ale about 6.5%. :drunk::D

I've done Christmas and Pumpkin brews in the past, but have steered away from them. Not that they don't taste good, but for me the novelty has worn off. I won't even order one in a bar anymore.

I'm looking forward to doing a pumpkin early this fall and a spiced ale later in the season. I might have to throw in something malty and german too. I'm also planning an experimental recipe of porter mixed with unfiltered cider.

Back