Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How in the world did it take me two years to find this thread?

Oh ya... I'm a dope.

Well I have to admit that I'm ecstatic that the Olde Towne Team is back in the WS. After the debacle of last year you really have to take your hat off to John Farrell and Ben Charrington. Last years Sox team was as unlike-able a group of guys as I've ever seen. What a tremendous addition by subtraction getting rid of half the team, starting with Bobby V. I heard him on the radio last week and he had the nerve to say that he would have done just as well with these guys. Unbelievable hubris.

Congrats to the Sox. They've been great all year and deserve it. As a Ranger fan, and having no dog in this fight, i am officially throwing my support to the Sox, as my wife is a big Red Sox fan, it will make my life much easier!

paulthenurse said:
When he has no strong opinions the smart man always defers to the nice smelling woman who keeps the other half of the bed warm.
truer words have never been spoken!

paulthenurse said:
Word to any guy who's looking to have a job next year.... If you call off the infield and say "I've got it!" you ought to at least raise your arms up and sorta kinda try to catch it. Just sayin'
bwahahH

So i'll go abead and start the debate. Remember that i have no dog in this fight. The obstruction call was bullsh!t. Terrible way to end a game. I understand the rule, and in it's most technical form, the call was correct. But the way i see it, the 3rd basemen didnt have time to completely get out of the way, as it all happened so fast. I saw the legs up as the momentum from him falling, making his legs fly up. He was also tangled up with Craig as the play happened. Whethere or not there was "intent" is irrelevant to me due to the fact that he couldnt get out of the way. I see it as a bullsh!t way to end a WS game. Rule or no rule, it was a bad call. Ok, let the bashing begin.

So i'll go abead and start the debate. Remember that i have no dog in this fight. The obstruction call was bullsh!t. Terrible way to end a game. I understand the rule, and in it's most technical form, the call was correct. But the way i see it, the 3rd basemen didnt have time to completely get out of the way, as it all happened so fast. I saw the legs up as the momentum from him falling, making his legs fly up. He was also tangled up with Craig as the play happened. Whethere or not there was "intent" is irrelevant to me due to the fact that he couldnt get out of the way. I see it as a bullsh!t way to end a WS game. Rule or no rule, it was a bad call. Ok, let the bashing begin.

I called it right away, and figured the umps would call it also. I didn't realize that it's at the umpire discretion at the next base to make the final call though. If the home plate umpire felt the runner wouldn't have made it anyways even without the obstruction he can call the runner out and wave the obstruction. The same thing if the runner would have been safe at the plate. No obstruction on the play.

The reason this is an important distinction is because when keeping score, you have to show how the runner advanced to the next base. Had the runner been safe then Saltalamachia would have been charged with the error for the overthrow. If the Ump ruled he was out without interference then no error is assigned. Because of the interference was used Middlebrooks gets the error.

Home field advantage switches to the Red Sox. Cards can't win the WS at home so if they celebrate it won't be in front of their fans. This shows the importance of winning the All Star game. I have to give credit to Leyland who played to win the All Star game to give the AL home field advantage. Hopefully next year both teams will put up their best product to try and win the game rather than playing everyone. I want the game to be more important than just an exhibition game.

Waiting for spring training to begin...... Congratulations to the AL WS champs Boston Red Sox. Damn I'm going to miss baseball. What else is happening?

Need to wait til next season. Great year unexpected by us Sox fans.

LA bought out your problems. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It benefited both clubs but really you should have suffered at least a couple years. Detroit will not have the luxury of getting rid of Fielder like that. I'm a Detroit fan first and a Boston fan second, so I had a great year as a fan, but in all honesty, you should have to had to swallow a few of those contracts to make it even.

The crazy part is that last year everyone wanted to include Lackey in the trade but the joke was that not even Magic was stupid enough to take him. What an incredible turn around by Lackey and the whole team.

Somewhere today Bobby V is telling a bartender that he could have got them there if he got another chance

ku-bigpic.jpg

Lets see...

Red Sox rolling rally today, which means +/- 2 million people started drinking at 10:00 this morning.
+ it's two days after Halloween.
+ every knucklehead and n'eer do well around got their welfare check today.
+ it's the end of daylight savings time tonight so I have an extra hour of work tonight...

Ya, I'm REALLY looking forward to going in to work in the ER tonight.

Happy New Year to all. I'm looking forward to another year of baseball. Who has the optimism going this year. I know all the trades and signings aren't done but everyone has to be close, who needs 1 more SP or RP, or utility guy? It's 44 days till the P's and C's and I's report, 49 days for the rest.... I'm ready. Go Tigers. 2014 WS Champions.

Happy New Year to all. I'm looking forward to another year of baseball. Who has the optimism going this year. I know all the trades and signings aren't done but everyone has to be close, who needs 1 more SP or RP, or utility guy? It's 44 days till the P's and C's and I's report, 49 days for the rest.... I'm ready. Go Tigers. 2014 WS Champions.

I can't wait for the new season. I don't have much hope for my Rays, but win or lose I like watching them play.

Happy New Year to all. Pitchers and catchers report in 44 days!!!! Im feeling pretty good about my Rangers, with all they have done. I would still to see them acquire David Price though!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one already counting down to spring training. Looking forward to another high hopes, low results season from my Angels!!

Back