What to do with a REALLY old Yuengling keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max4677

Reaction score
I have an old Yuengling keg that was in someone's back yard for a long time (years??) and he gave it to me one day thinking it may be of use.

It has a dirty cork bung in the side and the old three pin/screw type of tap on it. Can this be used for anything? I'm not sure I can even get rid of it for scrap since it as this huge red sticker on it that is rather stubborn.

I'v seen that type of keg used as a gas tank on a home made dune buggy...

but brewing wise i'm of no help.

What you have there is a Hoff-Stevens keg. It looks kinda like this? They stopped making those some time in the 1970's. Kegs these days are called Sanke kegs. You can still buy fittings for the Hoff-Stevens keg but they're hard to come by and/or expensive. Plus you have to fill it in the bunghole, and make a new wooden bung every time you use it.

I used to have one of those, and was going to use it as a bulk ager for blackberry wine. I lost it in the divorce, and just so happened to have scored another 1/4 barrel Hoff-Stevens keg the other day. Go me! :rockin:

Well the metal part is the same, but I think the tap connection is different. I'll see if I can find a link to a picture.

Edit: The second pic is the type of valve (H-S I guess), but it does look different from yours. Heh, the keg I have even has a dent in the top like the one pitctured!

http://www.northchautauquahomebrewers.com/keg/hsbrew.htm

If anything, I'd make a keggle, but I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble since I already have a Sankey one without a valve. Are tehy hard to clean, and could I still get bungs for them?

If you live in Pennsylvania and ever watched the PCN (public TV) tour of the Yuengling factory, the guy who used to pound these bungs in had the greatest job ever! Kegs would come at him foaming out of the bung hole, he'd grab a bung and smash it with a sledge - getting completely soaked with beer on every swing. It was classic!

Sad to see those old kegs go away, but due to their lack of handles they did nearly kill a few of my friends in our college days. You do not want to carry a 1/2 keg of those up steep stairs in the rain!

You can use it to serve beer out of, but I'd recommend replacing the bung with one made of rubber. I also have a used Hoff-Steven's tap that's available. An old brewing book I have from several decades ago describes how to refurbish and reuse them.

Back