Thoughts on 3/4" EMT canopy frame trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mracko

Reaction score
Thinking about taking the next step in brewing and starting my own hop garden. I have been looking through this forum and scouring the internet for ideas on trellis design. I came up with two options; the typical post and cable plan, using chain link fencing top rail or a canopy frame using 3/4" emt conduit and fittings from the following website: ysbw.com. The canopy would measure 5' wide x 15' long x 17' high. There would be 4 legs on either side that are 5' apart. I have attached a sketch of my plan, but I am not sure if it will work seeing how this is my first post. Price-wise there isn't much difference, but I am leaning toward the canopy style just for the options. I was thinking the bines could climb up the legs, wrapped with coir twine, or I could string the twine through all the eyelets on the the various fittings.

What I am not sure about is the strength of 3/4" emt in those dimensions. I could step it up to 1" emt conduit, but that adds enough to the cost to make the pole and cable design the favorite. Is 3/4" conduit up to the task? Has anyone used 3/4" conduit in their trellis'?

Mike

scan0001.jpg

LOOKS GOOD, iT SEEMS TO HAVE ENOUGH STRUCTUAL SUPPORT. i WOULD JUST RUN TWINE UP FOR THEM TO CLIMB UP. UNWRAPPING BINES AROUND LEGGS IS NO FUN. GOOD LUCK

What I like about this plan is that I could plant up to 8 hops (assuming the structure can handle the load). For now though, I was going to be setting it up against the south wall of the garage and plant up to 4 hops. The fittings will cost about $115 and the 3/4" conduit another $100. This costs about $50 more than my pole and cable plan, but I'd be able to do twice as many hops, if I wanted. In the fall it should be easy to take apart and store.

Pole and cable systems allow you to lower your bines down for selective harvesting which is very important to maximize yield. IMHO, you're spending more than necessary for less functionality.

Pole and cable systems allow you to lower your bines down for selective harvesting which is very important to maximize yield. IMHO, you're spending more than necessary for less functionality.

That is a good point and I must admit my conduit frame is pretty elaborate compared to the pole and cable.

I'd add some diagonals (aka K brace) at each end of the side walls to stiffen the whole frame. Might have get creative on how to tie in to those prefab connector pieces.

I'd add some diagonals (aka K brace) at each end of the side walls to stiffen the whole frame. Might have get creative on how to tie in to those prefab connector pieces.

I could buy 5-ways to replace the 4-ways in the middle and put cross members about 8 feet up the walls, so a person could still walk in the middle. I did a mock up in the yard and measured the full height it would be along the garage and it would be a behemoth.

As much as I want to build this, I am thinking it may have to wait until after I know I like raising hops. I'm leaning back toward "Keep It Simple " (galvanized top rail, fence post and 3/16" aircraft cable).

Back