going to San Diego, CA for the weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glanville

Reaction score
Which beers should I be on the lookout for that I might not normally find in the Midwest?

Seriously though. Look for some alpine IPA's, maybe lost abbey and port. It's really hard to go wrong.

There really is a lot. I haven't been yet, but the fist place I'll go next time I'm down there is the White Labs Tasting Room.

Paramecium said:
Seriously though. Look for some alpine IPA's, maybe lost abbey and port. It's really hard to go wrong.

+1 Alpine Brewing. Hard to find but well worth it. Best thing to do is go to their brewery. Ballast Point, Societe, Mission Brewing, Monkey Paw, Blind Lady, Green Flash, Ale Smith. For food and drink try Pizza Port or OB Noodle House. If you can get a day to come north of SD, there is a dozen breweries off the 78 fwy. I highly suggest Mother Earth and Stone. the drive from SD is only thirty minutes. Bottlecraft is right near the airport on India St. you can find a huge selection of craft brews there. That would be my first stop.

glanville said:
Which beers should I be on the lookout for that I might not normally find in the Midwest?

Kismet at Mother Earth.
Cali Creamin at Mother Earth.
Shipwreck IPA at Mission Brewery.

+1 Alpine Brewing. Hard to find but well worth it. Best thing to do is go to their brewery. Ballast Point, Societe, Mission Brewing, Monkey Paw, Blind Lady, Green Flash, Ale Smith. For food and drink try Pizza Port or OB Noodle House. If you can get a day to come north of SD, there is a dozen breweries off the 78 fwy. I highly suggest Mother Earth and Stone. the drive from SD is only thirty minutes. Bottlecraft is right near the airport on India St. you can find a huge selection of craft brews there. That would be my first stop.

You can't go wrong with any of these, plus don't forget to check out Lost Abbey/Port Brewing.

I'm going to have to agree with maddad, stone and Mother Earth are great places. If you like aged (primarily aged Belgians) port/ballast point are good too.

You will not be disappointed in San Diego when it comes to local beer. If you haven't already found this, here is a map of 45 of the local breweries. http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/SDBG-Brochure-2012-5-Panel.pdf.

I have been to most, and if I had to pick one, it would be AleSmith. Their Speedway Stout is outstanding. The Stone Brewery is beautiful, and a great place to spend a sunny afternoon, but their beers are probably the most widely distributed of the bunch. Good stuff, but you may have already had it.

I was just there a couple months ago and my favorites were lost abbey, Hess, iron fist, stone. I was disappointed that Alpine was closed on Sunday when I showed up.

Back