Weird looking bubbles on top of secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yehaww

Reaction score
I went to keg my latest IPA tonight and when I opened my secondary, I noticed this. I'm trying to link to the photo, but it's not working for some reason. Here's a link to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36723380@N07/7994405888/

I've never seen anything like that, but I did things a little differently on this one. I had it in primary for about 14 days, then I dry hopped it in secondary for 10 days. By that point, I thought I was going to have a keg free to put it in, but it took a little longer to drink than I expected. So in order to not over dry hop it, I transferred out of the dry hopped secondary and into a second secondary(thirdary?:drunk:) where it sat for probably another 2 weeks. I finally kicked the keg and went to check out this one and saw weird bubbles on the top. It smells a little weird, maybe, but this is the first thing I've dry hopped, so I can't tell if it's a moldy-weird or just the aroma. The bubbles look like maybe the yeast was just kicking and maybe there was a layer of oil from the dry hops that trapped the gas while it sat in the new secondary. Anyway, does this look like something anyone has encountered before?

Standard infection, I had the same thing in my espresso stout. Just drink it quickly as it will sour over time. Otherwise totally drinkable beer.

Latest posts

Back