BJ's Brewhouse Austin Opens TODAY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Today is the grand opening of BJ's Brewhouse in Austin. I'm taking the family for some pizza & their GABF silver medal winning Piranna Pale Ale.

They are located on Brodie Lane on the other side of 290 from Spec's.

I will have to come hang out with ya at YOUR BJ's some time soon. Should be down there in a couple of months.

The Lewisville one is pretty good.....I just never go there for the food or service. It helps.

Austin BJ's is/are good. :D

Good food, good beer, new restaurant. I'm happy and will go back. The pizza rocks.

we have a few here in San Diego and while the beer is ok, I've honestly never had worse service than I've had at BJ's. On multiple occasions too and we've talked to the management and they just don't care.

We don't go there anymore

That's a shame. Perhaps it is the newness, but we had great service tonight. Time will tell.

Matt_and_Katie said:
we have a few here in San Diego and while the beer is ok, I've honestly never had worse service than I've had at BJ's. On multiple occasions too and we've talked to the management and they just don't care.

We don't go there anymore

That was our experience with the service. It was me and 3 friends, we all ordered something different and nothing was good. The food was so bad I decided to not even waste my money on a beer. Ill stick to humperdinks. Ed I just saw on Flying Saucers website that yall are getting one, you will have to check that out. Great beer selection and great food. The waitress outfits are awesome too.

Oh man I love Humperdinks. I was in Irving for 3 weeks a few years back and there was one right next to the hotel I was staying in. I bet I ate there 15 out of 21 nights.

We actually go there regularly. Though here, in the Inland Empire (or IE, if you're "cool") there's so many damn people that if you don't get there by 4pm you're gonna wait, and wait, and wait. It's like the crappiest Wal-Mart in town on a Sunday....I swear I saw someone give birth in one of the booths;)

The Pirahna PA and PM Porter (Nitro, ooh...) are my faves.

**Ed, ya gotta try the Buffalo Chicken Pizza....with jalepenos. It's our favorite, and after having that, nothing on the menu can compare.

It's a decent place, but I like to chill. I guess I'm just not a fan of crowded places.

My experience was that the food was okay and the beer sucked...

Of course, that was California about 8 years ago and no I wouldn't go back.

In case you're interested, it's the one on Beach and Edinger. Sucked bad (8 years ago!)

:drunk:

BJ's in Portland has a great brewer and I try and stop in whenever I'm down there. I've never eaten there though.

Wow, that's sad that so many people have had problems at BJ's. The one near me is fantastic, and the brewer here had a GABF silver medal IPA. Of course, it's a seasonal, so that's too bad.

Either way, I hope your BJ's is as good as the one near me, EdWort

The only thing wrong at the Austin BJ's is they don't give you happy hour prices if you dine in the restaurant section. Pretty stupid IMHO as it's all wide open and they have tables in the bar and tables a half a step down for the rest. Of course the servers won't tell you that happy hour is only good in the bar section.

EdWort said:
That's a shame. Perhaps it is the newness, but we had great service tonight. Time will tell.

the BJ's we go to has been there for at least 10 years I'd venture to say so there's nothing new about it.

It is often times insanely crowded though so that may have something to do with their lack of care for the service they give. It may also be that the servers are stretched too thin, but I've always gottenthe opinion that they just don't care about their customers because if they irritate the ones that are there, there are 500 more waiting to take the pissed off one's place.

The food's been decent. We were usually there for happy hour so we'd normally feast on the appetizers.

My brothers and I went to the BJs in Columbus last night. We all thought the service, food and beer were very good. Our favorite beer was the "Nutty Brunette" brown ale.

I do wonder if they brew at every resturant, They had a couple of bright tanks in a window, I looked but there was nothing else in there but a bunch of kegs...

I know they don't do it at my local....they just deliver it to that location in kegs. All in all, it's not a bad restaurant, but I've gotten kinda bored with their beers. I wish they'd use a bit more creativity. I also have to be REAL careful about when I go, or I'll be waiting all night.

I stopped in at the Austin BJ's on Friday night and was disappointed to see that they don't really brew on-site. They actually brew at the St. Arnold's brewery in Houston by just renting out some capacity and then ship the beers to the Texas locations.

My wife had the Blonde Ale and I had the Pale Ale. I thought the Blonde was below average, but we both really liked the Pale Ale.

It is a very nice looking restaurant and they appeared to be doing quite well. We got there at 5:30 and there was already a half-hour wait for a table. I had a Christmas party later that night so we decided not to eat though.

I am not a huge fan of their beers but they had their Red Ale aged in oak, was actually really damn good, but they only had it for a short while. The thing that bugs me is that the people that work there know almost nothing about the beer.

the buffalo chicken pizza on the other hand is the ****!

The food is pretty good at the BJ's in Tucson. A lot better than your typical brewpub fare. I'm always up for their sampler of beers and have another pint for what captures my interest that eve. Haven't been there in at least a year but service was good.

Hill Country Brewer said:
I stopped in at the Austin BJ's on Friday night and was disappointed to see that they don't really brew on-site. They actually brew at the St. Arnold's brewery in Houston by just renting out some capacity and then ship the beers to the Texas locations.
I asked about that also, they have the vats, but only use them to brew Root Beer, (this is in the Arlington TX one), I think its a TX law or something. I like the food but a tad over priced, service has SUCKED each time we go. I feel like I'm invisible most of the time. The beer was OK, I like the Pooks or the Hefe, still over priced. I would rate it a 6 of 10, would be lower if the food was bad.

I'm a fan of the BJ's in brea. I got to talking through email with the head brewer, and he told me whenever I want I can come down and get some fresh yeast from them. So that was cool. Also, their nutty brunette is one of my favs.
As far as the food is concerned, I like most of it, but some of them "specialty" gourmet pizzas area little over the top. All I want is some pepperoni and maybe sausage with lots of cheese. And ranch on the side.

They just opened a BJ's 2 miles from my office in Temple. They are doing so much construction nearby I haven't ventured to try it. Had one of their waitresses come in to buy a bike from me- she was NUTS. Hopefully their whole staff isn't like her, but from reading these posts....Maybe?

quickerNu said:
They just opened a BJ's 2 miles from my office in Temple. They are doing so much construction nearby I haven't ventured to try it. Had one of their waitresses come in to buy a bike from me- she was NUTS. Hopefully their whole staff isn't like her, but from reading these posts....Maybe?
I used to live in Harker Heights in the BrookHollow Trailer Park. That was in 1976-78 tho. Was there a couple of years ago and got lost, Martin Luther King Blvd. thru me for a loop, I bought my first Harley, a 77 FX right outside the front gate of Ft. Hood. Wanted to go out to Stillhouse Lake to see some of the old hangouts and got completely lost, they are really building that area up.
AP

I was a couple weeks ago at the Orlando location. Staff was really friendly, good service, great food (I recommend the pizza and pasta!!), and great beer.

I can just recommend BJ's in Orlando...

Back