Wort Shelf Life & Recipe Creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesP

Reaction score
Does anyone know if wort has a shelf life if stored unfermented in the refrigerator for a few weeks to a few months? I was considering making a bunch of smash worts stored in a big chest refrigerator and fermenting different ratios mixed together of the course of a few weeks to a few months.

My idea was to figure out the best combination of grains by simply mixing worts together and doing a handful of 1 gallon fermentations. Then the best tasting beers to come out of that test would be the starting point for my grain bill. This might greatly expedite creating a great beer recipe otherwise you are just guessing based on what you know of the grains and waiting a few weeks to see if it turned out good or not.

Thoughts?

so they are all going to have the same hops?

I'd probably freeze them instead of refrigerate, and boil again before pitching yeast.

That sounds like a lot of work. I'd just go with tried and true recipes, and either see the formulas that bring success, or tweak them to your suiting. Just my thoughts though.

You could try canning them. You would most likely have a shelf life of several months if not a year like that. If you don't want to do that I'd probably freeze them. I don't know if you'd need to boil them again if your sanitation was good enough.

I agree with using tried and true recipes as a starting point.

But how do you best optimize tweaking the recipe by not spending months on end figuring out what works best? My background is online advertising so i'm a big proponent testing every single variable that could affect the outcome. If you can break down a recipe into various components and mix them at different ratios then I think you could greatly decrease the time it takes to create some really amazing beer.

Let's you wanted to tweak a beer with 3 grains. You could make a 10 gallon batch for each grain then ferment over a dozen different combinations of the grain bill together and potentially come up with something great.

I do like the freezing method of the wort. It should be sanitary as long as you transferred them to sanitized containers.

Wort is susceptible to spoiling rather easily, as it's a sugar-rich environment that bacteria and yeast love. I'd consider it as easily spoiled as milk. No way would it last "a few weeks", but maybe a week or so under refrigeration if you were perfect in sanitation.

Yooper said:
Wort is susceptible to spoiling rather easily, as it's a sugar-rich environment that bacteria and yeast love. I'd consider it as easily spoiled as milk. No way would it last "a few weeks", but maybe a week or so under refrigeration if you were perfect in sanitation.

Even if canned with a pressure cooker?

Let's you wanted to tweak a beer with 3 grains. You could make a 10 gallon batch for each grain then ferment over a dozen different combinations of the grain bill together and potentially come up with something great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless your only using base grains, or grains with enough diastatic power to convert themselves, this won't work. Not that good beers cant be made without specialty grains.

A bit OT, but I was kind of wondering this myself. I no chill and put the boiling wort into 20lt plastic cubes. I normally leave it for a day or two to cool down but was wondering if I could leave it for a week or more. I was thinking this because then I could brew when I have time and then ferment when fermenters become available. I could then have wort ready on hand as fermenter space frees up. I think the wort should be fine and as its boiling would sanitise the cube, then when it cools it shrinks the cube down, so there is no air inside.
Thoughts?
Gab

You could only safely do this by pressure canning and you could only experiment within the confines of steep able grains (think extract brew only the water is already in it) or you could partial mash and cut resultant wort with the mother liquid as long as you had enough enzymes in the grains to mash it.

Without pressure canned wort, after a few days you're rolling the dice... Food spoilage is nothing to play with.

I've been reading about various grains diastatic power ranges. The grains must have a diastatic power above 35 degrees Lintner to self convert. That includes most of the lighter base malts. Many specialty and dark grains would not have a high enough diastatic power to do the job by themselves.

Now the idea could still work but some more questions would have to be answered.

Do you get more conversion from low diastatic grains mashed with higher diastatic grains? Or does it simply convert everything once you are above 35 degrees Lintner? I'm hoping it does not matter once you have enough to self convert.

What if you wanted to mash a specialty malt with a very low diastatic power by itself? Could you add a little very light, high diastatic power grain to to the mash in order to give it enough enzymes to do the job? If you only use just a little very light malt, the taste might not be affected enough to ruin the test.

Back