Coleman 52 quart Xtreme Cooler sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirch3333

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The Coleman 52 quart Xtreme cooler is on sale on kmart.com. Regularly $55.99 on sale for $34.99 and you get another 10% off (automatically deducted in the cart) bringing it to $31.49. Not sure if this is an in-store deal but you can order online and pickup in store for free. Thought this was a great deal for anyone who was looking to build a mash tun like me!

http://www.kmart.com/coleman-52-qua...W014013110001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Cheers!

Is there a rough guideline somewhere for folks getting into AG brewing for mash tuns vs. lbs of grain? The reason I ask is I have the 52qt cooler already, but from the comment above, it sounds like I would need a 120qt cooler for huge a RIS or barleywine.

Is there a rough guideline somewhere for folks getting into AG brewing for mash tuns vs. lbs of grain? The reason I ask is I have the 52qt cooler already, but from the comment above, it sounds like I would need a 120qt cooler for huge a RIS or barleywine.

I can't find the table I was looking for. The third calculator on this page addresses the issue from the other direction. If you look at a sample recipe grain bill, you should have your answer here:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Sorry about that. The link should work now. The 70qt is a good deal too. I have no plans to make big beers but who knows. Would anyone happen to know there would be any problems if your mash tun is too big? I think I'd go with the bigger one if there aren't any issues with efficiency just in case i do decide to go big. Thanks

Kirch3333 said:
Sorry about that. The link should work now. The 70qt is a good deal too. I have no plans to make big beers but who knows. Would anyone happen to know there would be any problems if your mash tun is too big? I think I'd go with the bigger one if there aren't any issues with efficiency just in case i do decide to go big. Thanks

Depending on the size and dimensions of the cooler you can get to a point where you don't get enough depth to truly set the grain bed in a way that creates a good filter. That same situation can cause issues with efficiency because of a lack of proper rinsing.

Doing a 5 lb grain bill in a 10 gallon round igloo or rubbermaid lends itself to this problem.

I have the same cooler when KMART was having the sale a couple of months ago when it was $25.99. I do 10 gallon batches and it holds temps wonderfully and will have it for a long time.

Hey just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The Coleman 52 quart Xtreme cooler is on sale on kmart.com. Regularly $55.99 on sale for $34.99 and you get another 10% off (automatically deducted in the cart) bringing it to $31.49. Not sure if this is an in-store deal but you can order online and pickup in store for free. Thought this was a great deal for anyone who was looking to build a mash tun like me!

http://www.kmart.com/coleman-52-qua...W014013110001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Cheers!

I have the same cooler when KMART was having the sale a couple of months ago when it was $25.99. I do 10 gallon batches and it holds temps wonderfully and will have it for a long time.

Thanks... Would you happen to have rough interior dimensions?

Don't worry about it.... I ended up going with the 52 quart just for the storage limitations I have. I'll be putting it all together tonight. The best part? I ended up getting the cooler for $15. On top of the sale price at kmart.com ($31.49), I found another 10% off coupon code and redeemed some Shop Your Way rewards points (from Sears) bringing the total to $15.42! Score!

Back