Keggerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robh1111975

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Working on restoring my kegerator. Got the new lines all hooked up, but my question is about it's appearance.
The top in Stainless steel, but the rest of it is a dark 70's brown. The inside looks as it it was galvanized metal. There is some surface rust. My question is about painting it.
What do I use so it will look decent? I think I'd like to paint it black or a metal finish (maybe aluminum wheel paint). What should I do with the floor on the inside?

Sounds like yours is the same as mine.

Do what I did... sand the outside and clear-coat it, and scrub out the rust and corrosion inside and epoxy/enamel it. Here are photos.

thanks! I'll keep you posted on the progess.
I think I'm going to go with an aluminum finish color.

Picked up some Appliance enamel rustoleum paint from Lowes for the keggerator restoration. I'm going to get it all preped and taped off this weekend. Hopfully I'll get a few coats of paint on it too.

Thanks - it does the job certainly.

I haven't taken any photos since I bought my last two Shirrons. A friend who works in a furniture shop is making tap handles for me. I also custom-etched a zinc plate and enameled it for the front door, which hides where the old Beverage Air tag was...

all in all, i'm rather proud of it. When I move to NYC in 6 months, it's coming with me.

kvh

Aaaaakkk! I just read some of the posts with the pics you posted. Latex primer?? I didn't prime the bottom, just sanded it and sprayed it with the Rustoleum. Am I gonna have large flakes of charcoal grey paint peeling off in a few months? Glad I saw the post before I sprayed the inside.

Allan

Actually, my primer did nothing.

The inside scratches when I nick it. It's easy to touch up as the epoxy enamel blends in rather easily. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be sure it's clean and dry.

kvh.

I too have an old kegerator that I'm fixing up. It's actually in decent condition, but could use some paint on the inside and out (Thinking about Candy Apple Red), and I need to replace the rubber stripping that helps seal the door. I assume I can get this at a local fridge repair shop, but am not 100% certain... Anyone else have to replace this part due to mold, and if so what did you do?

Also, is there anything special to prepping the inside galvanized for primer and appliance paint? What special stuff should I used? There is one corner in the bottom that has some pretty stubborn rust spots. I don't know what I need to finally get that taken care of unless I can just paint over it... Some reason I'm guessing not...

Thanks in advance!

Here are a couple pics, although I haven't gotten a new one since I cleaned it up some...

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

Started the painting yesterday on the Keggerator restoration.
I primed the inside with a white bare metal primer (it's just galvanized metal). THen hit it with a white enamel. Turned out pretty good.
THe aluminum finish on the outside didn't turn out like I hoped it would. I'm going to re-paint it black after I sand it a bit.
Hopfully my HBS will have my air-line check valve for me this week and I'll have it plugged in chilling beer by the weekend.

THe white paint looks much better. Going to give it a lite sanding and give it the final coats tonight. I'll be chillen by the weekend.

robh1111975 said:
THe white paint looks much better. Going to give it a lite sanding and give it the final coats tonight. I'll be chillen by the weekend.

Quick work. Wish I could finish mine that fast, but I'm on call through this weekend and I'll be brewing the following.....

Allan

Back