Subbing Pilsner for 2-row? Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_reaper1066

Reaction score
So I just put on my yeast starter for my Black IPA and realized that I used the last of my 2-row and MO in my Stone Runination clone a few days ago. All I have left is lots of Bohemian Pilsner malt. Is there any downside to using Pilsner for my base grain? (aside from not being able to use it in a lager later on). Heres the recipe

15.5 lb 2-row
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Carafa III

3 oz. Magnum [14%] 60 min
1 oz. Centennial [10%] 20 min
2 oz. Amarillo [8%] 1 min
2 oz. Centennial [10%] Dry hop
2 oz. Amarillo [8%] Dry hop

Boil it for 90 minutes as pilsner creates more DMS than 2-row. WIth that many hops, flavor wise, no impact, IMO.

Good call on the 90-min boil, but it turns out that I wont be using pilsner anymore. When I got home I found a full bag of MO I had forgotten about hidden in a corner.

That DMS thing in pilsner malt is hoax in most cases. Excessive amount of DMS precursors can be present in really poor processed malt, very rare thing these days. Same applies to low soluble nitrogen in pilsner malt, which requires mashing with protein rest.

Most of my beers are 80%+ pilsner malt (and really cheap one!), boiled 60-70 mins. Never had DMS in beer. Good rolling boil and you'll be fine with 60 mins.

Back