Can you Brew It recipe for Nogne Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1068
42 IBU
FG 1014

5.75Kg British Pale Ale Malt
570g Crystal 60
350g Munich
210g Black Patent 525lov.
210g Chocolate 350lov

20g Centennial 10.5%AA at 90m
38g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 15m

90 minute boil

Mash at 149F for 60 minutes

150-180ppm CaCl

I kind of brewed this, but I am a rank noob, and I modified the ingredients for a 5 gallon size, and for what was available at the LHBS, so take that into account. I think the grain proportions are right (the percentages match from the show)

Yeast Wyeast 1098 instead of WLP007

10.2 lbs Munton's Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60
9.6 oz Munich
6 oz Black Patent
6 oz Chocolate

1 oz Centennial 8.4% (instead of 10.5%AA) at 90m
1 oz Northern Brewer 10.4% (instead of 9%AA) at 15m

OG: 1.063 (instead of 1.069)
FG: 1.019 (instead of 1.014)

Because of the gravity difference and the hop changes I made due to availability, you probably can't call this a clone, but it is a mighty tasty recipe. I just racked it today after 11 days, and even now it has a wonderful chocolate, roasty flavor, with an aftertaste which really lingers. I am looking forward to this one in a few weeks. Thanks, Eric, for compiling all of the recipes

Any updates on how this brew turned out?? I have been requested to create this beer by any means necessary and I haven't even had one myself yet. But I hear that it's a damn good porter

Cheers

Are there any issues with mashing at 149? That seems pretty low for a 1.068 Porter. I remember this beer having a pretty decent body.

Duffman2 - I brewed this beer last fall. Pretty much followed the recipe, but substituted some of the chocolate for pale chocolate. I've never had Nogne porter, but this beer turned out great. I sent it into the upper mississippi mashout and it took 1st place in the robust porter category.

heywatchthis - 149 is fine for this beer.

hey Sullivan, do you have any good ways to describe this beer? Once again, I haven't had it. But I would like to make a really good, killer Porter so I'm open to suggestions.

How long did it take you to condition it to maximum drinkability?

Thanks

duffman - the beer was big for a robust porter (at the top of the range for the bjcp), but you could not taste any alcohol (need to control your fermentation temp). It had some coffee flavors and smelled like chocolate. The beer was drinkable right out of the fermenter (actually the hydrometer sample tasted great) and once carbonated I loved it. Anyway, I sat on it for around 3-4 months before sending it into the competition and at that point it was really good.

Does this recipe use light or dark Munich? I need to place an order today and it would really help.
Thanks
TPH

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1068
42 IBU
FG 1014

5.75Kg British Pale Ale Malt
570g Crystal 60
350g Munich
210g Black Patent 525lov.
210g Chocolate 350lov

20g Centennial 10.5%AA at 90m
38g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 15m

90 minute boil

Mash at 149F for 60 minutes