Anyone Build Heating Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshopmike

Reaction score
So I am taking my 15.5 gallon kettle and converting it to electric. I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to build a PID controller and setup for a 5500W 240 element with fittings necessary to connect to a keg. I was recently introduced to the Brew in a bag method and it's perfect for me. My only issue is I'd much rather be able to do it inside rather than outside (it's getting cold here). I just figured I'd try to support my fellow home brewers by putting out my offer.

Mike

+1 on the PWM controller. Walker posted up the schematic he used, you can also find it if you google something like "555 timer IC PWM"

PIDs don't really work for boiling since 212 degree water can either be resting, or violently boiling. You would end up using it in manual mode, so its a waste of money. A $10 PWM controller is just a better solution.

Don't know if you'd find just anybody to build one for you. It'd open them up to a whole bunch of legal issues. Especially if you ended up electrocuting yourself when using it!

+1 on the PWM controller. Walker posted up the schematic he used, you can also find it if you google something like "555 timer IC PWM"

PIDs don't really work for boiling since 212 degree water can either be resting, or violently boiling. You would end up using it in manual mode, so its a waste of money. A $10 PWM controller is just a better solution.

Not necessarily, I use my BK to heat my mash out water. If he is doing BIAB his BK is also going to double as an eHLT for mashing. So temperature control would be pretty important.

+1....I'd like to use a PWM, but since I'm doing single vessel, the same PID controls mash and boil. Of course, I could create another switch to disable the PID and enable the PWM, but that'd be more components, real estate, and $$$ than necessary.

Not necessarily, I use my BK to heat my mash out water. If he is doing BIAB his BK is also going to double as an eHLT for mashing. So temperature control would be pretty important.

I suck at reading comprehension, so I didn't get that he is sticking with BIAB, of which, yes, he would probably want good temp control.....however, people do BIAB on home ranges without issue, which would be like an e-kettle with a potentiometer.

I do think one thing needs addressed for anyone that is considering BIAB with a PID and head element in the Kettle, how does the bag react to the element and how would you prevent the bag from catching and ripping on the temp probe?

I think for BIAB, a single vessel RIMS would be the perfect and economical solution.

Potentiometers/Rheostats for that size of a load are going to be big and expensive. at bare minimum some kind of PWM or simple hysteresis would be needed.

A RIMS tube for BIAB would be pretty neat. A PID controller would be a must though as the volume of water being heated is so small . He would need another element in the kettle for the boil though, and a temp probe in there to monitor the mash any how so not sure if there is anything to really gain. Well, other than the cool factor. As long as the bag doesnt make direct contact with the element its all good. The probe could be something that is just stuck in the mash, not fixed to the pot.

Back