How long do you condition your IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
I do 1 month primary (including a week cold crash before kegging) and my IIPAs are typically OG 1081, FG 1016 (8.6%) and dry hopped twice before kegging.

After kegging does this seem reasonable?

- cellar condition at 65 for 1 month
- cold condition at 40 (and force carb) for 3 weeks before tapping

Basically I'm trying to figure out when it's optimum: maximum hop aroma but not being too green.

I don't think you need to cellar it for that long. IPA's are normally better when fresh.

I do 2 weeks Primary. Keg and cellar for 1 week. By week 4, I am drinking the goodness and loving it.

I usually go a week or so in the primary then move to secondary for 2 weeks (dry hopping in secondary) and then continue conditioning and carbonating in the bottle for a couple of weeks before opening.

Hate to admit it, but I'm drinking an IPA now. Literally, at this very minute.

I brewed it on 5/8/10. So, it's 18 days old. I served some last Friday to a fellow homebrewer, just as a sample.

Since I keg, there's no problem. Keg, condition, dry hop, carbonate, drink. When I make a Pale or IPA, I want the hop aroma as fresh as possible. I even re-hop.

The clock starts when the dry hops come out, sooner is better. I takes me for an IPA or IIPA something like 20-25 days to finish fermentation and dry hopping. Well made beers of IPA strength and (lack of) malt complexity aren't green after that length of time. If you feel like you need more conditioning, I recommend doing it before the dry hopping.

I personally prefer day 7 (after dry hopping) to day 0 but it definitely isn't getting better after that.

I just kegged an IPA. It spent a few days in the primary and a week or so in the secondary. I'll be drinking it by next week at the latest.

Back