Need advice on how to add raspberries to a raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I have the wort in the primary already and I'm planning on moving it to the secondary in a few days. I was just looking for some advice on how to pasturize frozen raspberries or if I should just use raspberry extract.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Frozen raspberries are already pasteurized. Just toss 'em in. I add mine to the primary after fermentation settles down and let them sit for a week. No real need to do a secondary on a wheat.

You might also consider Oregon Raspberry puree. It is a little pricy, but good stuff. It is already sanitary in the can so you just have to sanitize the outside of the can and pour it into the secondary and rack on top of it. I have a spiced christmas ale sitting in secondary on the puree right now.

Do not use the extract, it is nasty. I made some last year using fresh ones. I don't care much for wheat beer, but the people i work with loved it.

Im not much for fruit beers but a friend said she would pay for the ingredients and my homebrew clubs contest calendar has fruit beer on the schedule coming up. I think I've decided to go with the frozen ones but Im not sure that they will be sanitary. If i wanted to pasturize them myself does anyone have any advice?

did a berry beer in the summer, used frozen raspberries. Worked great! (did end up with a purple-ish colored beer due to the rasbery/blueberry combo, but oh well.)

My one piece of advice is to add the raspberries in moderation along the process of the secondary. I added too much at the start and ended up with an overly-tart beer that took MONTHS in the bottle to mellow out.... like 6 months.

good luck! let us know how it turns out.

My Wife's favorite is rasberry wheat. I add 3 pounds of frozen at end of primary or secondary if reusing the yeast. This creates an almost alcopop type beverage that is red and very berry. Wal Mart or ALDI are cheap places to get steam pasturized frozen rasberrys. Derek

My Wife's favorite is rasberry wheat. I add 3 pounds of frozen at end of primary or secondary if reusing the yeast. This creates an almost alcopop type beverage that is red and very berry. Wal Mart or ALDI are cheap places to get steam pasturized frozen rasberrys. Derek

+1. I've used Wal Mart's frozen berries and have never had an issue with them.

You might also consider Oregon Raspberry puree. It is a little pricy, but good stuff. It is already sanitary in the can so you just have to sanitize the outside of the can and pour it into the secondary and rack on top of it. I have a spiced christmas ale sitting in secondary on the puree right now.

I used Oregon Rasp puree in my Rasp wheat. I turned out great, but it took a good 3 months in the bottle to get a good smooth raspberry flavor.

I recently helped a friend with his raspberry wheat. He had purchased fresh raspberries, so we had to pasteurize them. Here's the method I used:

1.5 # fresh raspberries per gallon of beer

Working in batches, mash raspberries to release some juice and break down the structure of the berry. Transfer to a stock pot. Bring stock pot to a very gentle simmer over medium low heat. When raspberry pulp reaches 160F, cover and remove from heat. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Check to make sure that after 20 minutes, the temperature is 140F or above. Pasteurization is complete. Keep pot covered and allow to cool (using an ice bath is ok, but not necessary). Using a sanitized funnel and spoon, transfer raspberry pulp to a sanitized secondary fermenter. Rack beer on top of raspberries and secure with a sanitized airlock.

Back