Newport Hops... Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with Newport hops? Looks like they are fairly new. I'm thinking about using them as my bittering addition in the 999 Barleywine. Morebeer says, "Released in Feb. 2002, this hop has a mild aroma and a high alpha-acid content. Similar to Galena, Fuggles, and Nugget, this hop is sure to become very popular." I'll be using Kent Goldings instead of the C hops for my aroma and flavor additions.

I am going to drag this thread up from the dead to ask a question.

I am looking to brew the fireside barley wine devised by KingBrianI, and they call for the addition of 2 oz of newport hops at 60 mins, and it list the hops at 9.3%

The online store that I get my hops from lists the Alpha Acid for their newport at 15%. This will make a pretty significant difference in IBUs, especially considering the length of the boil.

Can I assume that the newport at the store are just that much stronger, or do they have a generic number that they just figure are middle of the range which is different than what someone else might think the range is. The store also does not list beta acid for this particular hop, althought there must be some (as far as i know). Would a store combine the alpha and beta number to get to the 15%? Considering alpha to beta is usually around 2:1, that would then be in line with the 9.3% in the recipe.

In short, what would you do for the 60 min hop addition?

Newport tends to range from 10%-17% AA, 9.3% would have been from a lower AA crop (sometimes first/second year harvests from a new plant won't hit full AA potential).

I'd run the values through a recipe calculator to try to match the your target IBUs, I think you'd be looking at roughly 1.25 oz of your 15% Newport to equal the same IBU as the 2oz of 9.3%

Okay I definitely will, thanks for your advice.I have never had a barley wine so I am trying to keep this as close to what the author intended as possible.

Back