Can i dry hop to fix diacetyl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. Did a cali common lager, thought i had it nailed but maybe i rushed it? Definite diacetyl/butterscotch flavor. (Lets not diagnose here, though) Its drinkable, but im just not a huge fan.

Its in the keg now, and fully carbed up. Any suggestions for some dry hops i can put in the keg to help cover up (and may actually go well with this style made w/ northern brewer hops)
Thanks!
-beermethatbeer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unless you did really well in separating the yeast from your beer there's a good chance that the diacetyl will subside or completely disappear..

But hey - why not do some dry-hopping just to make sure?!
I'd pick something really fruity like Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic or Falconers.. I imagine earthy/dank flavors would clash more with the diacetyl.

All most every time I test bottles to see if carbed yet a bit too early I detect diacetyl - after 10-14 days in the bottles it is completely gone so there's still hope!

If you saved any of the yeast left, you can make a 1L starter and pitch it in the keg/secondary and it will usually clean up the diacetyl. I've had good success with it. Just make sure you use the same yeast or if that's not available, a less attenuative strain. I wrote a more detailed description about how to fix diacetyl if you're interested. It's save more than 1 beer for me.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice all.

Not sure which way ill go; but good to know I've got options and may improve a slightly sub-par batch.
Cheers!
-beermethatbeer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it doesn't clean up, you can always sour it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back