Pliny Elder Clone with US 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishjb

Reaction score
I made a Pliny clone from Morebeer w/2 packets of re-hydrated US 05 (I know, should have done a liquid yeast, made a starter, etc.....but I was lazy!)

It has been in the primary for 4 weeks. I have a temp controller on refrig. started at 66 degrees for two weeks then lowered to 64. Should I D rest or just got to secondary and dry hop?

Thanks for any opinions!

What were your numbers? If it were me I'd wait for fermentation to cease then just dry hop in the primary. I've never needed to do a d rest with 05.

I dropped and broke my hydrometer while making the beer! (May have been a drinking issue....). So I don't have the numbers. I figured I'd just leave it in primary for at least 4-5 weeks. If I dry hop in primary, should I consider a D rest? Before or after dry hop?

After secondary (or two weeks dry hopping in primary) should I cold crash before kegging?

Thanks!

You could raise the temp while dry hopping but it likely isn't necessary. Here's what I do with almost all of my beers:

-pitch yeast and allow to ferment completely out, usually around ten days based on hydrometer readings.
-if I'm using a flocculant English strain I'll do a d rest but I've never done one with a well-attenuating strain like 1056/001/us05. Never had any reason to.
-add dry hops straight into primary. I never go more than ten days because I start to notice grassy flavors after that point.
-keg it. The colder the keg the faster it carbs so I consider that my crash. Lately I've been fond of adding gelatin to the keg once it's cold. In less than a week the beer is crystal clear and it doesn't effect flavor/aroma at all.

That's just my way of doing things. It won't steer you wrong but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Either way you'll end up with tasty beer!

Back