Bad weather is awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
Another windy snowy day in New England. yahoooo. Brew Day! :D

Bad weather = :ban:

That is a problem. :(

I guess in that case you just have to open a home brew and watch it snow. :drunk:

No way. When it gets really ugly here, I BIAB a half size batch on the kitchen stove and chill it in the sink. I'm not giving up a brew day on account of weather. :mug:

Unless you're schlepping your 8-yr old to two different hockey rinks. Hockey doesn't cancel for bad weather! Would be nice to be home now brewing. :(

I'm out of everything to brew with except yeast, waiting on an order now. I'm thinking about going out to get some ginger root and brew up a batch of ginger beer.

I'm out of everything to brew with except yeast, waiting on an order now. I'm thinking about going out to get some ginger root and brew up a batch of ginger beer.

Just hit up the LHBS and get to work. Border brew supply is open on Sunday's :D

Unless you're schlepping your 8-yr old to two different hockey rinks. Hockey doesn't cancel for bad weather! Would be nice to be home now brewing. :(

Fortunately my SWMBO is taking care of my daughter. :rockin:

krackin said:

Do apfelwein!

Well, I didn't get anything brewed yesterday but I have a reasonable explanation. I had a slowly dying truck battery and I ended up having to buy a new battery and had to get that set with a top off charge. I didn't dare go too far in case I forgot and shut off my truck and left myself stranded.

Sounds like a marginal excuse, but I will let it slide this time. ;)

I have a spring lemon ale bubbling like crazy! (actually just had to install a blow off since I had minor overflow :smack:)

Yep. snowy brew day for me too this weekend, plus Jimmy Buffett blaring on my phone!

Usually AG outdoor brewer, but AG indoor this time and actually hit all my numbers spot on! I think not using the propane burner kept me from over boiling the wort. Only problem was cool down, had to stick the covered pot outside for 6 hours and then transferred and cooled at room temp overnight! Who knew 6 gallons of 212 degree wort would take that long to cool naturally!

Bad weather can kiss my glass! I brew rain or snow or shine on my covered deck with propane. Make yourself a wind shield for your kettle and burner and you can brew in a friggin' hurricane so long as you have a roof!

Been cold & wind howling all day. Just started dying down. Man cave is chilly,but the fermenters are at 68F. Perfect temp for the WL029 kolsh yeast I'm using in both batches! :ban:

Looks like 3-5" tonight and more tomorrow, another PIA snow event. I expect to get called out about midnight to plow town roads and sand and salt. That will keep me busy Wed. and I expect a delivery of supplies on Thurs. FedEx. I'll be set for the weekend. I'm working out a PA and a Cream Ale recipe for hot weather. I'm completely satisfied with the results so I have to keep trying. You know how that is. Oh the woes of a home brewer....

Now what am I going to do. They are forecasting a foot of snow again this weekend and I am out of fermenters. :confused:

kevinb said:
Now what am I going to do. They are forecasting a foot of snow again this weekend and I am out of fermenters. :confused:

Buy another one while you're at the LHBS picking up ingredients?

Bad weather can kiss my glass! I brew rain or snow or shine on my covered deck with propane. Make yourself a wind shield for your kettle and burner and you can brew in a friggin' hurricane so long as you have a roof!

Said the man from Virginia!

Come on up to MI and I'll brew with you in my garage in 10 degree weather with a good wind.

There are about 2 months that normally find me either not brewing, or brewing half in the house, and half on the back patio. It's just too cold to stand in the garage for hours.

I am having a "bad weather day" myself. It's warm, but it's so windy that I can't kayak from my back door today. I hate when that happens! :D

So, I'll keep on my shorts and t-shirt and sandals and go to the grocery store and hope for a better fishing and kayaking day tomorrow.

:mug:

Last Saturday was a brew day for me. It started out warm, sunny and with completely clear skies. And then as the boil started, the clouds and wind rolled in, it dropped twenty degrees and started raining sideways.

Made for a pretty miserable brew day, but I think it turned out well all the same. One of the clearest beers I've made yet.

I agree with OP,I love brewing in the snow.We`ve got 5" coming in friday
into saturday.I`ll be in my garage brewin` a Hefe -can`t wait-

Cheers

I am having a "bad weather day" myself. It's warm, but it's so windy that I can't kayak from my back door today. I hate when that happens! :D

So, I'll keep on my shorts and t-shirt and sandals and go to the grocery store and hope for a better fishing and kayaking day tomorrow.

:mug:

You stink! At least I can cold crash a batch by opening my back door.

You stink! At least I can cold crash a batch by opening my back door.

haha- snow and cold is why I only brew indoors at home!

I brew down here with a neighbor- he's making a cream ale this week sometime. I "taught" them all-grain last fall, and they're making pretty good beer so I have a way to get my brewing fix without actually brewing myself! :D

He's happy that it's "only" 75 today so far so his fermenters stay cooler and he runs the AC less!

Well,at least the snowbanks can chill 'em down pretty quickly. Thawing them back out can take a few though.

And I thought it was because of the mosquitoes...:D

It turns out that the wind died down, and it was about 77 degrees so we went fishing. We drank beer while we fished, though!

This is Bob today, out on the deck, just before sunset (about an hour ago):
DSCN0941.jpg

I love brewing, but I love fishing. If I had to choose just one, that would be tough.

Hi Yooper.

Nice catch.

You win. Your bad weather was the most awesome. The weather was so bad you had to wait to take the boat out. Poor baby.

I heartily agree with you about the indoor brewing. I like air conditioning, and in the ten weeks of winter, heat is pretty nice too.

Another snow day. I am starting to enjoy winter. Mash is going now.

Good thing it is snowing. It if wasn't, my SWMBO, would have had me furniture shopping. Boy I love snow.:D

DSC_3815.jpg

Kevin, your photo is beautiful. but it made me shudder! :D

My grandson and his mom went ice fishing yesterday, and sent photos. Nice photos, but I'm glad I'm not there.

Right now, our windows are wide open and the birds are singing. Palm trees are gently swaying. This is a little more comfortable for me! :p

Yes, but I have lots of snow to cool my brew kettle

Things have been getting warmer here now in ID. Had a little storm yesterday but I think I can see spring coming up soon :D

Back