business owners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
I have two small businesses i am looking to get off the ground and i know that any little bit of advice/edge/advantage i can get i huge in the world of small business. I have been on the path of hardwork and abstract thinking but just looking for any added advice from anyone who may have been succsesful in small business. Im open to all suggestions. My main business is property management/lawn care and my secondary is mobile auto detailing.

So far my main business premises are invest in people, work hard, offer quality, and make the small jobs affordable enough to my customers and myself to sustain a way of living while the big jobs offer me some expendable income and expansion of my business.

I have two small businesses i am looking to get off the ground and i know that any little bit of advice/edge/advantage i can get i huge in the world of small business. I have been on the path of hardwork and abstract thinking but just looking for any added advice from anyone who may have been succsesful in small business. Im open to all suggestions. My main business is property management/lawn care and my secondary is mobile auto detailing.

While I can appreciate your willingness to reach out to other who are successful at what they do, this is a very broad question to ask.

Before the age of 30 I created 3 start ups and actively participate in all three today. The best advice that I can give you when it comes to perusing your dreams is to read, find a good mentor and grow a big pair of balls cause you are going to need them.

Read books by others who are successful in your industry. I'm primarily into real estate and SEO web marketing and I can name a number of great books that get my brain cells fired up.

Read blog, message boards, magazines or any other resource that will benefit you in the learning process.

Seek a mentor who has been there. Many of my friends have a 20 to 30 year lead on me. Learn from their mistakes.

Finally, grow a big set of balls cause your going to need them. There are no "unemployment benefits" if you fail. Health care is now your responsibility, not your employers. Finally, the govt is going to make you squeal like a pig when you learn about the new taxes you will be paying. Can you say schedule SE?

Learn all that you can before making your move. If you fall get back on that horse and ride it!

I have balls:) main reason is exactly to get some perspective. Open to all input.

Both businesses are small overhead and i have the equipment so thats where i am at although i am young, 24.

Always under-promise and over-deliver. And I would start one at a time, rather than divide myself between two separate ventures simultaneously.

The auto detailing is a one man venture with low capital that i have started with. I believe in the business in my region because there is a lack of competition and it is low overhead. The property maintenance/lawn care business is just what i focus on more because if i land some annual contracts i am able to foresee any expansion and compensate for it. The auto detailing is the one that will stay small longer but i wont give up on it due to the low capitol.

Flyering, door to door, craigslist, word of mouth. I was thinking of hiring someone to work solely on commission handling all sales/marketing giving them a budget to work with

Reinvest your profits into the business when first starting up (Warren Buffet).

Learn accounting.

Solid advice. Plow cash back into the business and take very little salary for the first few years.

This is not only beneficial when it comes to growing your business but also beneficial from the perspective of taxes.

Finally, grow a big set of balls cause your going to need them. There are no "unemployment benefits" if you fail. Health care is now your responsibility, not your employers. Finally, the govt is going to make you squeal like a pig when you learn about the new taxes you will be paying. Can you say schedule SE?

Learn all that you can before making your move. If you fall get back on that horse and ride it!

Amen.

After the fail of my first business, that $40k lesson was begin operation with as much equity possible not debt. lol. It's difficult to imagine how much operating capitol is sometimes truly needed. My entire life has been small biz, specifically service, and still is. We're a different breed. I wish you luck.

Latest posts

Back