Slight Bouncing around the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wings13

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to brew my second batch and had a question about fermenter placement. The most temperature stable room in my home is our workout room (also the most free space to store a fermenter). My concern is that the bouncing from the treadmill, jumping etc is going to jostle the fermenter too much. I couldn't find anything in the forums regarding this. Obviously you don't want to go around shaking the fermenter for no reason, but will small movements like this create any negative effects?

The only concern would be upsetting the settling of the floc particles. If there is enough bouncing they will stay in suspension rather than settle out. If that is still the route you want to go I would let it ferment and then move it to another room for a few days to settle out before racking.

As the other poster mentioned, it could disturb the yeast cake and effect flocculation. It might also be possible to jostle some of your airlock liquid into the fermenter.

I really can't image the bouncing around to be a huge concern. I'd probably stick a few towels or a mat under the carboy and call it a day. Having the ideal fermentation is more important. You probably know this, but keep in mind, the temperature of concern is the temperature or your beer, not the ambient room temperature. Using a swamp cooler to maintain a stable temperature might also decrease the vibrations to your carboy in your case.

Thanks for the information guys! I think I'll give it a shot with a few towels underneath and then move it to another room a few days before racking.

Thanks again, new brewer and new to the site but I'm loving it here!

It's not a cake in the oven. Well, yeah it's a yeast cake, but you could probably ferment it in the back of your pickup truck and be fine, as long as you gave it 24 hours of stability before racking to the bottling bucket.

Not that I actually recommend fermenting in the back of your truck. Just stretching a point for the sake of humor. Cheers!

Back