Freezer capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
Hell of a deal on a new 14.8 Chest Freezer at Home Depot.

HOME DEPOT

Maytag 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White
Model # MQC1552TEW
Internet # 202867507

$359.10 /EA-Each

Does anyone know the Corny Keg capacity of this model? Looking to upgrade my serving/storage tank.

Thanks for the code. I've read through that link, but did not find that specific unit.

Surely someone has this unit and has assessed capacity?

Hopefully someone will chime in but I have to assume that the GE and Whirlpool 14.8 models are similar in size and can hold 8 corny's.

Resurrected thread...10% off on Maytag 14.8 freezer.

Just picked this up at Home Depot today....$409 with free delivery.

Looks like Lowes is running 10% off all Energy Star freezers thru 1/15 too.

I was looking at this model on the Home Depot site this morning. What is your opinion of it so far Twalte?

mrkrausen said:
I was looking at this model on the Home Depot site this morning. What is your opinion of it so far Twalte?

Not being delivered until the 16th, so no opinion yet. I really liked the size and the very small amount of compressor hump. Several keezer builds with the maytag looked good. (whirlpool is probably the same unit too).

I like that the thermostat can we tweaked instead of buying an external controller.

Trying to make room for it this week in my garage, which is easier said than done.

Thanks. I'm planning on hitting up Home Depot to take a look at it after I get off of work today. It seems to be a decent deal, but I'm kind of wishing that I would have made a move when the holiday deals were going on because my beer fridge just burned out 3 days ago.

Just a heads up to anyone that is in the market or has been on the fence on buying a chest freezer. I went to HD today to get this chest freezer which is $449 regular price, but with the 10% off it's $404. The employee that was helping me gave me a heads up that they are dropping the price tomorrow to $398 and they would still be doing the 10% off so it will end up being $359. So I will be heading up there first thing in the morning. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Just a heads up to anyone that is in the market or has been on the fence on buying a chest freezer. I went to HD today to get this chest freezer which is $449 regular price, but with the 10% off it's $404. The employee that was helping me gave me a heads up that they are dropping the price tomorrow to $398 and they would still be doing the 10% off so it will end up being $359. So I will be heading up there first thing in the morning. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Wow...I just bought at $404 and not delivered yet. Hopefully they will do a price match.

I hope they honor that for you. It seems like a really good deal for that size of chest freezer. I couldn't thank the person enough for the info. I didn't even notice that was the same chest freezer the first time I watched that vid. I can't help but believe that all of these things happening are a sign that this is meant to be. I'm definitely getting excited to get this bad boy going.

mrkrausen said:
I hope they honor that for you. It seems like a really good deal for that size of chest freezer. I couldn't thank the person enough for the info. I didn't even notice that was the same chest freezer the first time I watched that vid. I can't help but believe that all of these things happening are a sign that this is meant to be. I'm definitely getting excited to get this bad boy going.

Thanks for the heads up! I will be checking prices tomorrow. The savings will go towards the draught equipment.

I think it's a really nice setup for cold crashing and pouring.

Well I just got back from HD. They said it will be delivered this Saturday! I was going to hold off but I think I'm going to get at least one perlick setup since I'm saving some money. I was just going to go the picnic faucet route until I had some more disposable money but now I can justify it.

mrkrausen said:
Well I just got back from HD. They said it will be delivered this Saturday! I was going to hold off but I think I'm going to get at least one perlick setup since I'm saving some money. I was just going to go the picnic faucet route until I had some more disposable money but now I can justify it.

I saw the new price online, but no 10 percent or free delivery. Going to run by the store and see if it is a deal on the floor today.

If you get the draught setup, even for one tap, at least you cover most of the expensive pieces and adding taps will be relatively inexpensive. I plan to order a dual regulator so i can force carb some kegs (30 psi) and serve from the rest (12 psi). Something to consider depending on how you plan to use the unit...no point in buying two as you step up.

Yeah if you get a chance you might run by your local HD. I don't recall seeing the free delivery online either but when I went in to inquire about the unit they asked if I wanted to take it home or have it delivered. Also, there was a sign upon entering the appliance section stating the 10% discount on appliances over a certain price. I can't remember what it was exactly but this unit still qualified. They also said they do free haul away when they deliver which is nice because my beer fridge just crapped out on my 4 days ago, so I don't have to worry about getting someone to pick it up. Hope this helps. With the money I saved I went ahead and got a couple of the perlick+shank stainless steel combos and a four-way manifold from Birdman. I love it when things work out. :rockin:

I like that the thermostat can we tweaked instead of buying an external controller.

Why? Most (all) freezer temp controls are unlikely to allow you to set a beer serving temp.

Likely still need a controller.

Cheers!

Why? Most (all) freezer temp controls are unlikely to allow you to set a beer serving temp.

Likely still need a controller.

Cheers!

Assistant Brewer did a great post showing how to use the adjustment screw on the thermostat to change the freezer to refrigeration temps. Since I am simply trying to maintain serving temperature (not fermentation temp), this is the route that I am going to go. I saw the Maytag referenced in the thread, so I know it can be done.

Here is the link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Ah. I've just been unlucky.

My 2 builds were both old Tappan units. Naturally, I took things apart and had a look. The thermostats on these units were completely enclosed, metal boxes. Sensor into the box, control shaft into the box, contact terminals coming out. No access to the mechanism. No screws, etc.

I considered attempting to pry the thing apart. Then, I figured getting some tab bent properly, or spacer added, or whatever and then finding the little hook that sits on the pivot at the end of the spring (which is now somewhere in a 10 foot radius on the garage floor) and then getting it back together was just over my tedium/budget threshold.

Thanks for the heads up. Next time I'll try to find a unit that allows for some adjustment.

Cheers!

Back