Heatstick extension cord question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinch

Reaction score
So I built a heatstick (1500w element). I tested it today in about 5 gallons of water and it got it up to a boil in about 25 to 30 minutes with an additional gas burner to get it started. Anyhow my question is, I had it plugged into one of those orange 3 way extension cords so that I could reach the GFI outlet. When I went to unplug it the orange 3 way plug in was quite warm - probably more like hot. Black cord I used for the heat stick was a little warm, plug was warmer - but that orange female side was hot. What's wrong with this picture?

Imprinted on the black heatstick cord:
E64047 16-3 SJTW FT-2 (UL) (75C) C(UL) (60C)

Imprinted on the orange extension cord:
(UL) SJTW E92770 VW-1 75C 16AWGX3C C(UL) SJTW 16AWGX3C 60C FT2

Okay so being that I botched this project.... can anyone provide a link to the most basic electric brew kettle setup. I'm not looking to buy any temp control devices at this point. I'm currently doing 5 - 6 gallon batches and would think I'd only need one 1500 element to maintain a boil, and a heat stick to help get it up there. Is it basically the same deal as the heat stick? Just drill a hole in my keg about 4 inches up with a few nuts (possibly welded on) and silicone washers and then encompass the wiring on the outside in JB weld inside a pvc coupling and ground to the keg? Or go with the external junction box?

Back