Transferring From One Keg to Another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckels

Reaction score
I've got a 2.5 gallon keg coming to be used in a portable setup. To fill the keg with some pre-carbed beer I'm planning on purging with CO2 then pushing from one keg to another. Is there anything else to it? Do you purge the pressure every little while or just leave it?

Thanks.

Yeah, it's that simple. You will need to 'burp' the receiving keg or else the pressures will equalize and the flow will stop. Remember to make your jumper go from the 'out' post to the other 'out' post.

Yep, just pull the release valve on the receiving keg every so often.

My advice is to buy one of these: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/smartstrip.html

It made it a lot easier to figure out how much beer is in the smaller keg. The first few times I did it without the SmartStrip, I opened the lid a few times to see the level since I thought that was a lot better than overfilling the small keg. You'll need to cut it to fit the 2.5G keg. Another option is a scale, but this is a lot easier.

and less pressure is needed if the donor keg is higher than the recipient, on a chair or something, it will go like a siphon

Thanks guys. And good call on the smartStrip. I'm going to have to see if I can find something like that at my LHBS. Otherwise I'll have to wait to put together a NB order.

When I filled two 3 gallon kegs yesterday, I could tell just by the condensation on the outside of the keg where it was filled to! The cold carbonated beer just made a nice clear line as the keg filled.

I used 3-5 psi to push the beer I believe.

Back