Question on first WineXpert wine from a brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Hi all. Making my first wine from a WineXpert kit. Mixed everything together last weekend. Directions say wait 8 days then rack to secondary if gravity below 1.010. My wine is still fermenting actively. Do I rack the still-fermenting wine, or wait for it to wind down a bit.

In brewing, my motto is always wait it out. But with wine, I'm not sure if it's best to wait or if I should move it as soon as the targeted gravity is met.

Thx.

Rack it when the SG is 1.010 or so, or about 7 days after mixing it up.

You want the fermentation to still be active, as to help prevent oxidation of the wine. You want to get it to the carboy and airlocked.

Blast you and your logic. :mug:

Irritating, isn't it? :cross:

Wine is easy, but it is a bit of a different beast than beer.

The good thing about wine kits is that they have EXCELLENT instructions for their products, unlike most cheaper beer kits. Winexpert is great for telling you exactly what to do and when to do it. If you follow their instructions exactly, you will get a good product. I promise.

Thanks Yooper. That's what I needed to know. Instructions were clear, but my brewing experience was telling me "that can't be right." Thanks!

Back