Skeeter Pee yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
I've read the "Washing Yeast" thread over on the Beer forums. And i've read thru some of the Skeeter Pee thread on using a Yeast slurry. I had 3 Gal's of orange wine (each in a 1 Gal jugs) I just racked them off and collected the lees in a pint jar. I pretty much pulled the whole slurry off each bottle.

Any suggestions on storage until I can get my Skeeter Pee ingredients collected (hopefully by next weekend). I have them in a ball jar w/ the top on loose. Should I be worried about a bottle bomb if I tighten the lid? I was going to just toss it in the fridge for now.

Ya dun good. Loose lid in the fridge should keep them happy for a couple weeks anyway. I'd bring it out of the fridge and let it warm up before adding it to the Skeeter Pee.

Was this slurry from the very first racking of the wine or was the wine finished fermenting. For a good slurry, you want to collect it while the parent wine is still in an active ferment. If the orange wine had finished fermenting, many of your yeast will be dead or dormant and the slurry will be much less effective.

This was from the First Secondary racking... The Primary Slurry got dumped since I hadn't planned to need it originally. I still had pretty decent fermentation going on in this secondary. I kinda just racked for good measure. Later on after my post I noticed the jar of yeast bubbling pretty good as well so I know they are good+active. I ended up leaving it on top of my fridge with the lid cracked for vapor. I'll probably just leave it there till this weekend. If I don't get to my Skeeter Pee, I'll fridge it.

This was from the First Secondary racking... The Primary Slurry got dumped since I hadn't planned to need it originally. I still had pretty decent fermentation going on in this secondary. I kinda just racked for good measure. Later on after my post I noticed the jar of yeast bubbling pretty good as well so I know they are good+active. I ended up leaving it on top of my fridge with the lid cracked for vapor. I'll probably just leave it there till this weekend. If I don't get to my Skeeter Pee, I'll fridge it.

I think I'd fridge it. In your jar is A LOT of yeast, and there is very little food. And due to the small volume, there is potential for waste matter (alcohol) to build up if food is available. All these things will stress your yeast. You want a very good batch of yeast for Skeeter Pee.

Back