High Altitude Brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Brew number 3 is on the stove boiling as we speak. I noticed i get a nice rolling boil at about 204 degrees. I am in Utah and about 5000ft above sea level. Some items you cook have special instructions for cooking at higher altitude.

Got me thinking do you need to adjust brewing times at all if you are at a higher altitude?

I bet the times that will be required at sea level vs. 5000 feet will not be that much different. rdwhahb.

I brew a bit above 7000 ft., boil at 198 F, but have never had any issues. I use the same methods at low altitude, always a 90 min boil, and haven't noticed any effect on hop utilization or anything else for that matter. The biggest problem I have is keeping the temps up for ales (it snowed May 28th), as a result I lager a lot. If you force carbonate, you'll need to reduce your psi significantly, however.

Baked goods, such as my sourdough bread, do require recipe adjustments as noted.

Back