10 gal Apfelwein..Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk84BeeR

Reaction score
Hello all! I just aquired a 15gal barrel for brewing and am about to christen it with 10 gallons of Apfelwein. My question is this:

Do I really need two packs of yeast? or will one work?
(using the yeast from the recipe)

Thanks

Using 1 packet of yeast will work just fine, but it will take longer to ferment as those 5g packets are designed to be optimal for 5 gallons. If you want to save a dollar that bad, make a 2 liter starter with 1 packet of yeast & when it's going like mad, pitch it into your must. Regards, GF.

One will work just fine, just add a day or two to the fermentation time.

Ten gallons in a 15-gallon fermenter, five gallons of head space (air) seems a little excessive.

Are you not concerned about oxidation?

Pogo

Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering because I got everything together, and i'm so used to doing the 5gal batches I didn't think to go get another yeast packet. Looks like getting another pack would be the best.

I'm not too terribly concerned about 10 gal vs. 15 gal because I had seen where others have done 10gal batches in the same type of fermenter, but I think I'll definately check into that further. If anyone has some experience with this that would be really helpful.

Thanks Again!

One will work just fine, just add a day or two to the fermentation time.

Ten gallons in a 15-gallon fermenter, five gallons of head space (air) seems a little excessive.

Are you not concerned about oxidation?

Pogo

The yeast is going to create carbon dioxide which is going to push all the oxygen out.

The yeast is going to create carbon dioxide which is going to push all the oxygen out.

I'm still a total noob, but I was thinking the same thing... and since Co2 is more heavy than air, even after fermentation has eased off there will still be quite a layer of CO2 over the must while it's aging... providing you don't disturb it right?:drunk:

Back