Does Bitter Orange Peel add IBUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I'm working with the Saison Dupont recipe from Clone Brews.

When I plug the recipe from the book into Recipator, I get something like 19 IBU's, although the book says 25. (That's a pretty significant difference.) Recipator calculates IBUs only from hops--does bitter orange peel contribute?

Are you using the Regar or the Tinseth scale? CB and BC appear to use the Regar in their calcs, as it's supposedly more accurate for partial boils.

Many thanks!

I was using Tinseth (the default on Recipator), and it does indeed make a *substantial* difference.

Is there any sense of which scale is more typically used in the IBU calculations for the recipes one sees in books, web archives, etc?

I guess this drives home why HBUs are so useful in recipes--they are very easy to calculate and adjust.

Also... are you talking about Orange ZEST or the white part of the orange peel. This white part is what is bitter. Generally you dont want to use it.

Michael_Schaap said:
Also... are you talking about Orange ZEST or the white part of the orange peel. This white part is what is bitter. Generally you dont want to use it.

I'm referring to the dried stuff you get from the HBS--used in saisons and wits. I'm thinking it does have some of the "pith" (the white stuff) in there, 'cause the chunks seem to thick to be just the zest.

can I just throw a pile of fresh grated oramge zest into my secondary or do I need to boil it with the wort. I want a fresh orange hint taste and aroma in an orange honey hefe

Back