Newbie Question - Did I ruin my wine during degassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I am an experienced homebrewer (of beer) and I am just now getting into the world of winemaking. I made a Riesling kit from Winexpert and just got to the degassing stage.

After reading the instructions that came with the kit, I "whipped up" the wine with a degassing wand, as instructed. I know that this would be ill advised when making beer but I made the assumption that winemaking is in many ways very different from beer making.

After further research, and little success with degassing, I am now very concerned that I oxidized the wine. I stirred very vigorously for about 20 minutes. I let the wine splash and created a vortex in the carboy for much of the time. I am now realizing how big of a mistake this was.

What can you more experienced wine makers suggest to salvage this wine? I added the metabisulphite, sorbate and isinglass packets as instructed. Will the metabisulphite protect the wine against oxidization. Should I check SO2 levels and just accordingly? What can I do?

At this point, I am just going to let the wine clear, rack again and bulk age. Hopefully the remaining CO2 will dissipate from bulk aging. Hopefully this wine won't taste bad.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hokenfloken said:
What can you more experienced wine makers suggest to salvage this wine? I added the metabisulphite, sorbate and isinglass packets as instructed. Will the metabisulphite protect the wine against oxidization. Should I check SO2 levels and just accordingly? What can I do?

That should work. If concerned add some ascobic acid (vit C). That will help protect the wine from oxidization.

At this point, I am just going to let the wine clear, rack again and bulk age. [end "quote"]

Yup. Good plan. Hurry up and wait work well!

I do not degass my wines. I let them age untill degassed naturaly. However I have only used fresh fruits for wine. Never a kit. Any wine I think may be "messed up" I simply drink sooner rather then later.
Cheers!!

I've done many kits and degass as you described without problem. The metabisulphite will keep it from oxidizing. I agree with you - wine making is so far removed from our processes we use with beer that it feels alien, but just stick to the instructions - they work!

I do not think you would have a problem with oxidation because the area above the wine in the carboy would contain co2 not oxygen and co2 is heavier than air. So unless you somehow forced air into the carboy none should have touched the wine let alone enough to do damage. Anyone else?

Thank you very much for all of your opinions. Very good points made here about headspace being filled with CO2, etc. I think I will add a little ascorbic acid for a bit of extra protection and manage SO2 the best I can. I've been curious to find a method of removing O2 from solution but have found little info other than some methods involving nitrogen or powdered milk. But since all of you seem to think it will be okay, I'll just let it be. Thanks again!

Time works for degassing. But if you really want to make the degassing process faster, try using an eductor attached to an air compressor and a #7 drilled rubber stopper. That's what I do and it works incredibly well, all without any stirring.

Back