Yeast alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaaybeer

Reaction score
Hi all. I have very depressing news (for me anyway) I'm yeast intolerant. When I drink my beer I get a tight wheezy chest and hot flushed face. Anyone any remedies and or alternatives please. I feel like I've had a death in the family, that's how much I love my beer

Are you sure it's the yeast? Did you talk to a doctor and get tests?

It could be gluten rather than yeast, and there's a whole gluten-free brewing forum as well as other things you can do to normal beer to make it gluten-reduced (Brewers Clarex)

I have a reaction from commercial beer if I have been drinking for 3 or more days. I haven't done that in a long time bug I have had 2 beers tonight 1 stout and 1 red ale. And I'm wheezing like a bagpipe at the mo. I could drink 10 commercial beers or so now and I reckon all I'd have is a bad head tomorrow.

I've seen these caps u put on bottles when doin secondary. Turn the bottle upside down and it collects the yeast and doesn't let it back into the bottle. It's a lot of reinvesting but I may have to do it. I'm so bummed about this

I've seen these caps u put on bottles when doin secondary. Turn the bottle upside down and it collects the yeast and doesn't let it back into the bottle. It's a lot of reinvesting but I may have to do it. I'm so bummed about this

Caps won't do it. They might collect solid trub, but there is still a TON of yeast in solution. You'd have to filter - with a .5 micron filter, I believe - to get it out.

I'm allergic to yeast, and it's a major pain. I get all red-faced. I haven't noticed wheezing, but I'm kind of scared I'll take a sip one day and need an epi pen. Can't really take benadryl, either, because you're not supposed to take it with alcohol.

I take Benadryl every night, with alcohol ...
Helps with my sleep/allergies.. Still here lol

Maybe something like this? .3 micron filter, not too expensive, 200 gallon filter life doing pond water. I use a katadyn hiker filter when I'm backpacking, and haven't caught a horrible waterborne disease yet, so they're effective.

if you are 100% sure it is the yeast you are allergic to (you can test this. think like a guinea pig. eat a bit of live brewer's yeast, with no barley, hops, etc. next time drink a glass of unfermented wort. see what happens.) invest in a good filtration setup. you can get 100% of the yeast out of suspension. as pointed out above a 0.3 um filter will stop almost all bacteria. yeast are enormous compared to bacteria. but you need a system that won't let your beer in contact with air.

Thanks for all you advice guys. I will struggle on with the wheezy chest for a while limit myself to max 2 at a time.

Back