Hops for Connecticut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to grow some hops this season, and am looking for recommendations for what works in this area. I have good southern exposure, and plan to let them grow up the side of the house this first year. If that works I would look to expand with a trellis or pole system.

Anybody grow hops in CT?

English and German varieties didn't grow so well for me. Cascade does very well, Zeus and mt hood grew well too.

+1 on cascade. I've been growing cascade and centennial the past two years. Last year was the first year in the ground, and I ended up with about 1/2 pound of hops of each variety dried. I had 4 rhizomes of each going. Hoping for more yield this year. I'm starting some fuggles, golding and chinook this year as well. 3-4 rhizomes of each went into the ground last fall. I need to dig them up and replant them this spring in a different area.

2nd year last summer for me just beyond Greenwich border in Port Chester, NY. Three different beds, three levels of sunlight: Cascade did best because they had full sun, Goldings did well in medium sun and Mt. Hood had lowest yield with partial sun (may need to move).

Back