Bottling sugar Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm20010

Reaction score
Later on today I will be bottling a cherry wheat beer that had about 5 oz of Brewing Sugars in the beer + the cherry puree and I was wondering if I still needed to ad the bottling sugar before I bottled it.

5 gallons to bottle, I added the sugars into the wort before the yeast and the cherry puree went in about 6 days after pitching yeast. It will be 28 days now that it has been in the fermenter.

Yes, you must add "priming sugar" to the beer when you bottle or it will not carbonate in the bottle.

The 5oz of sugar was meant to be added at the same time as bottling. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you already put the sugar in there. If so, just measure 5 oz (or half cup) of table sugar and add it to the beer 30 minutes before you bottle.

Don't just pour it in. Put the sugar in a small sauce pan with a cup of water and heat it until it just starts to boil. Then, without cooling, pour it into the beer. Then bottle.

Yes you will need to re-add bottling sugar to bottle!
I usually do an ounce per gallon being bottled! Boil a cup of water and stir in the proper amount of sugar and add to your bottling bucket and rack beer on top of sugar solution!

Back