any info would help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
ok i am thinking of brewing my first real brew, i am also going to be making my own malt out of barley. i got some ?s do you crush your malt? or do you leave it whole? do i let it dry? in 5gals how much malt do i use? its kinda going to be a do it your self typ of brew... a hit and miss maybe... i need a basic beer recipie any one got one?
Thanks David D

Are you talking about going all grain your first beer? If so this is really ambitious. Yes, you crack your barley. You should probably search this site a bit more, and do some more research. I'd start extract, but if you can start this ambitious and be successful, you'll make great beers.

it depends on the ingredients you have. If you want to make a single malt beer then thats as basic as it comes. Do you have a mill to crack the grain? What hops do you have? If you have no hops then i recommend doing german hallertau to give you a not so strong and quite drinkable beer. cheers

yup i am going all the way, thanks rewster... plus my dads got over 10000 bushels of barley in the bins right now, emmm think of all that beer, i dont think i will even youse one bushel, lol

well i am hopfully got to be getting hops, i will research german hallertau, thanks

Rolling pin might be a good idea if you were brewing next month because thats how long it might take you, plus the uneven and even pulverized husks will add harshes and cause a stuck mash if doing all-grain. You need the husks to act as a filter bed. Look in the phone book im sure there is a home brew shop near you, but if not then there is a mill you can get at some hardware store's. It cost about 20 to 30 dollars and is made to crush corn but with some fine adjustments you can mill the grain just fine. Its called a corona mill. Also while you crush the grain, do it outside, if the dust of the crush gets into or on your fermenting vessel it could infect your wort. Write me back if you have any more questions im all ears

I got lots of free time.... well i can make free time. its might take a whyle so i think iam going to try it.

i have read that be for, i might try extract.... just for the first time and so i have something going. its gonna take awhyle before i can make malt...

Back