2012 Aussie/NZ hop crop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap my wife is in New Zealand right now and it is the end of summer there. Assuming I can convince her to bring a couple of pounds back with her does anyone know the legalities involved.

I ask because you would not believe what we went through to ship other things international.:mad:

Crap my wife is in New Zealand right now and it is the end of summer there. Assuming I can convince her to bring a couple of pounds back with her does anyone know the legalities involved.

I ask because you would not believe what we went through to ship other things international.:mad:

US to NZ/AUS - Good luck with that. I saw customs take down a mother trying to feed her kid baby food they brought in from abroad, at the airport in Australia.

NZ/AUS to US - Ezmode. Just put it in your checked luggage. Make sure it's clearly labeled.

US to NZ/AUS - Good luck with that. I saw customs take down a mother trying to feed her kid baby food they brought in from abroad, in at the airport in Australia.

NZ/AUS to US - Ezmode. Just put it in your checked luggage. Make sure it's clearly labeled.

Right on man. And since she has family in Oz she will come back that way and visit them I am sure.

Now the hard part convincing her to grab some and bring it back LOL

Right on man. And since she has family in Oz she will come back that way and visit them I am sure.

Now the hard part convincing her to grab some and bring it back LOL

If she is coming through Australia, I wouldn't buy anything in NZ first.
Customs will confiscate any and all fruit & veg coming into NZ or Aus, no matter where it came from... even if it's just the next island over.
Got to read all of the fun customs signs in the airport when I was traveling in Aus with my ex wife.

I'd just get some Australian Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties#Australian_.2F_New_Zealand

If she is coming through Australia, I wouldn't buy anything in NZ first.
Customs will confiscate any and all fruit & veg coming into NZ or Aus, no matter where it came from... even if it's just the next island over.
Got to read all of the fun customs signs in the airport when I was traveling in Aus with my ex wife.

I'd just get some Australian Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties#Australian_.2F_New_Zealand

Well damn. That just sucks I guess. Oh well all the more reason to try and grow my own I guess

I think it was the hallertau hops I used before that I liked. And dang at 1.79 you cannot go wrong with that I guess.

With out looking at my brew log it seems to me that I used it in a amber bock and dry hopped with them. I thought it was very similar to saaz.

I did the barleywine in my sig with Nelson Sauvin, as well as an all-Nelson Sauvin IIPA. It's a great hop.

A friend of mine with a brewery that shall not be named, took their Belgian pale ale, and put it in a cask w/ Rakau hops and chunks of frozen mango. Really great stuff.

You know there are so many different types of hops and yeasts that really change the profile of a beer that I think I could brew the rest of my life and never have the same brew twice in a row.

Right now I am on kind of a mild hop phase but testing out different yeasts and how they affect the beer

Varmintman said:
Well damn. That just sucks I guess. Oh well all the more reason to try and grow my own I guess

Bringing hops into Australia you would need a written document explaining what it is and used for from the place where you bought so they dont have to open the packet and you definitely have to declare it. They know what hops are as they see it everyday from aussies buying all the US hops.
Saying this though Theres no problems finding all the NZ hops in Australia at the same prices.

i meant Summer 2011 in the northern hemisphere :)

i purchased Nelson Sauvin in Aug from Farmhouse and had been waiting for them to become available for a while

Back