Ninkasi Tricerahops clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
I was at Kennedy's Irish Pub in San Francisco yesterday and tried Ninkasi Tricerahops. Wow!!! The most distinct IIPA I've ever tried. A very lemony, fruity, hoppy, clean, smooth version of the style.

I immediately wondered what gave it this flavor. I am very familiar with American breeds of hops, and have never come across such a flavor. I'm starting to think the yeast was the culprit.

Anybody have the clone recipe available? Or if youve tried the beer, even just an explanation of this flavor will do!

The hops it uses are:

Summit, Amarillo, Centennial, and Palisade.

In fact, Ninkasi is fairly forthcoming. If you can't find a recipe for it, their site provides more than enough info to try and formulate one yourself...

For some reason, only the mobile website lists the OG, which is 1.080. At 8.8%, this means the FG should be 1.0125.

Tricerahops is one of my favorite beers. I even dream about it sometimes. Sadly, Virginia is far far away from Ninkasi's distributing reach. AHS recently introduced a clone kit though. I haven't had a chance to try it so I can't attest to it's accuracy, but you can bet it's on the "to brew" list.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Agreed, peregrine. I've had a couple bottles of Tricerahops that were a little sub par. I think it has a lot to do with the age of this beer by the time you get it. Where have you found it in VA? The only times I've enjoyed it have been when I've been out on the west coast.

I use to have it all the time when I lived in WA state. Never seen it in VA except for when a friend came back from a business trip to Portland with some for me. If my wife wasn't sitting there I could of kissed her for that!

Haha. Yeah the only time I've had it here in VA is when I mailed a couple bottles back with some camping equipment after a long trip out on the west coast.

Latest posts

Back