Problem with WLP 500 fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ch4s3

Reaction score
I'm making a 2.5 gal batch of cider and wanted to try Trappist Ale yeast (WLP 500.) I used pasteurized cider from a local orchard with no preservatives. I added about a cup of brown sugar and 3/4 tsp of wine tannin. The cider was at about 60 F with an OG of 1.061.

The I pitched a touch more than half a vial of liquid WLP 500 while at about 60 F. My ambient temp has been between 73-75 F since. I stirred vigorously and have since shaken the batch twice. 18 hours on I see no bubbling or signs of fermentation. There is a very slight yeast smell with the apple when I press the bucket.

Should I be worried or just give this temperamental yeast another 6 to 12 hours?

I hate to double post especially right after joining, but I would super appreciate some thoughts from the forum.

If anyone can offer perspective on a normal range of fermentation start times it would be great!

Thanks.

Give it more time. The yeast you pitched has been used to eating maltose. The sugar switch will slow things down a little, but don't worry about it. The best thing to do would be to forget about it for a few days.

Ahh, thanks for the reassurance. I'll just wait and hope my patience is rewarded. I've read in a lot of places about people starting a Trappist cider or wanting to, but I haven't read about anyone's results so I'm excited to see what happens!

I also whipped up a yeast starter with the leftover yeast in case I have an issue.

Glad to hear it. I have 4gal that just started some time in the night. I was worried about it because it does have preservatives in it, but so far so good. I'm using WLP028 in it. I like the idea of using WLP500, and I have a culture of that in the fridge already. If I have a carboy free up I might try it too.

I'm already getting some plum and jammy smell from the airlock, so I'm feeling good about the temp. and pace of fermentation. Its such a cool and versatile yeast, but a bit sensitive.
I've read that if you have a temp controlled fermenter you can take really direct control of flavors and nose.

I'm already getting some plum and jammy smell from the airlock, so I'm feeling good about the temp. and pace of fermentation. Its such a cool and versatile yeast, but a bit sensitive.
I've read that if you have a temp controlled fermenter you can take really direct control of flavors and nose.

I've only used the WLP500 for a barley wine (abv ~12%) which is still aging, but is quite lovely with strong banana flavors. It seems like it could be great in cider.
Some day I'll get a ferm chamber together and play with it more. I would have had it done by now if I wasn't on here so much, oh well.

What temp is it at?

My ambient temp has been around 72-73 today. I hope to ramp it up to 76-77 by mid next week.

So my batch of cider using wlp028 is going poorly due to low temps and perspectives. It is fermenting but very slowly, despite vacuum degassing many times (it's down about 1dg Plato in a week). So I'm made a starter of wlp500 in the hopes it's more resistant to SO2. I heated the starter cider to 160F and degassed it with a whisk before cooling and pitching.
So I'll be trying out a mixed yeast cider.... if it ever finishes.

I'll be interested to hear how that goes. I now have mine up to an ambient of 74 F a week after pitching it. So it will be ready to crash in a day or two.

The wlp 500 seems to really get rolling between 70 F and 73F. As far as SO2 resistance, I'm unsure but it hasn't been a problem for me.

I made some one gallon batches with WLP500 a couple years ago, using unpasteurized juice (Stayman, Empire and York apples). The best version was one that I bumped to 1.070 with some sugar and crashed at 1.012. It had an interesting spicy apple tasted that held up well with aging. I liked a lot, as did a few of my beer geek friends, although most of my friends didnt care for it. If you like trappist ales in general, you will probably like this.

My experience with White Labs yeasts is that they all start slow - usually at least 24 hours, sometimes 48 to get going.

When do you start checking the gravity ?

Depends on temps and if/when you want to stop it before it ferments out. If you are fermenting above 70F, it will probably ferment to dry in 6-8 days. I fermented mine at ~60F and crashed it after 3 weeks at 1.012.

I will probably only leave it in the primary a few extra days before bottling it. I also intend to bottle carbonate it a little.

Depends on temps and if/when you want to stop it before it ferments out. If you are fermenting above 70F, it will probably ferment to dry in 6-8 days. I fermented mine at ~60F and crashed it after 3 weeks at 1.012.

Yes 72 deg, so I imagine this wekend will be good to rack...will chk gravity tomorrow ... do not want bone dry this time ... interested in re-using the yeast as well.

THX

I just opened the first bottle after letting them sit in bottle for 10 days. I got impatient. Its dry, but has a nice creamy texture and a crisp finish. It has the bananna and clove nose that I would expect from the wlp 500. It still needs to age a bit and I will post the results of further aging.

Oh, it came out at 8.5% wow!

Back