Brewpubs/beer bars in Los Angeles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madvillain

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I tried searching for this but couldn't find much. I'm moving to Los Angeles next month and am looking for any awesome brewpubs or beer bars in the area. I'll be in the Larchmont area but am willing to travel for a good pint! The last issue of BYO mentioned Red Car Brewery and Restaurant in Torrance, so that's on the list. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :mug:

The Red Car is in my neighborhood. Let me know if you end up there. In all, LA is not a great beer place. You'd think there would be tons of brew pubs with the population here, but it's the complete opposite. The pbs that are here are all out in the suburbs, and LA is a huge place. The Red Car is great and there is another brewpub down in San Pedro called oddly enough, The San Pedro Brewing Co.

Brewsmith said:
The Red Car is in my neighborhood. Let me know if you end up there. In all, LA is not a great beer place. You'd think there would be tons of brew pubs with the population here, but it's the complete opposite. The pbs that are here are all out in the suburbs, and LA is a huge place. The Red Car is great and there is another brewpub down in San Pedro called oddly enough, The San Pedro Brewing Co.

It is kind of strange that there aren't many more brewpubs in the LA area, but I'm moving from Honolulu where there's only a couple bp's and one of those has mediocre beer at best. I'll definitely end up at Red Car sometime during the summer, maybe I can buy you a pint. :mug: I'll also check out San Pedro Brewing Co. June 6-10 I'll be in the bay area watching my Red Sox play the A's in Oakland and going to a Giants game on Saturday. Can't wait to check out some of the brewpubs in SF as well!

Glibbidy said:
I have always like Henry And Harry’s Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa. You may be blown away by the wall of taps!

I will be sure to check this place out as well. Thanks!

Couldn't pass up this discussion without mentioning BJ's Restaurant. Not sure how close to Torrance they get but I go to the one in Huntington Beach and the beer is awesome. They got about 6 regular brews and some seasonal ones. One is a Maibock which I can't wait to duplicate once I can lager. Also their stout is immense and smooth. I credit them with getting me re-interested in homebrewing. I know they have a brewery in Brea and a few other pubs about the area.

LA has its own set of building codes, they don't subscribe to the UBC or UL either. Makes construction a PITA.

I know this is a bit old, but there's a place called Naja's in Redondo beach that's owned by a former Stone employee that has an enormous beer selection.

We used to live within a 2 minute walking distance of the Red Car in Torrance and When new, their beer was OK and they had just come out with their IPA by the time we moved and it was definitely worth your time, but it's definitely a place to not miss. The food isnt typical prew pub food, but oh my goodness was it good.

We also used to frequent a place in El Segundo called The Richmond Bar & Grill. It's a little beer/wine/food place on Richmond Street and the owner was always a hop head and would have a 5 gallon rotator tap that he'd swap out with IPA's about every day.

If you're in the Pasadena area, there's an emglish pub called Lucky Baldwin's that has incredible english food and a pretty insane list of belgian beers on tap and in the bottle

Latest posts

Back