Filtering Pelleted hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adso81

Reaction score
Well...for a slight introduction, Im just getting into homebrewing after a long time of debating where to spend my limited income. Now that Ive started, Im throughly satisfied with my decision. Now to my question. With pelletted hops added during the boil with the malt extract, is it necessary to filter before fermenting? Two sources I have now are giving me two different opinions. Any help would be appreciated. :)

So what kind of consequences can I look forward to suffering if i didnt filter?

Not much, it will take longer to clear and the aroma profile will change a little.

For my first few brews I just dumped them right in the primary with no ill effects. Now I use a strainer that I pour through, it removes 99% of the hop and break material and helps with aeration.

This past brew I used a mesh nylon bag, put the pelleted hops in and dropped it in the boiler with the end hanging over the side. I opened the end up and added my aroma hop pellets a little later and when I was done, I just pulled the whole bag out, squeezed it with a rubber glove on (was hot) and let the good stuff drip out. Was easy, and I think it worked great. I could smell the hops cooking just like when I used to add them straight to the boil.

When i was done boiling all my hops were stuck up on the side of the pot from the bubbling...is this bad because they werent at the bottom?

I was wondering about this, pelletized hops turn into a mashed hop after boiling. How fine of a mesh do you get for this? When its in the nylon bag it kind of clumps together, but in the pot I would imagine it would kinda of be finer and harder to filter.

My first brew I just dumped into the fermenter and it turned out just fine.
After I've finished cooling the wort in the boil kettle I stir the wort for a few minutes then let it sit for a while to let the hops settle out. Then I just siphon to the fermenter using my autosiphon, leaving the trub behind.
Craig

If you don't want to stretch a larger strainer over the fermenter, this works great for me. Same principal, but a gentle siphon is less likely (I may be wrong) to force residue through the mesh than a more forceful dump.

1 gallon Paint strainer from Lowes. 2 for $3.00

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Back