Thermometer reading 4 degrees below temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

Out of curiosity I tested my thermometer today. I took a test with ice and the thermometer read 28F, I then took a test with boiling water and it read 208F.

Can I assume then that I have mashed at a 4 degree lower temperature than I thought?

Thanks.

Not really. It is a strating point but I would suggest calibrating this thermometer, and checking it against a proven accurate thermometer. But the best bet is to but a digital thermometer. The dial thermometer I have reads correct at 32 and 212, but is off by 10 degrees in the 140-180 degree range.

This is a digital one. Can't make adjustments.

I tested a floating thermometer, and it measures to high at 36 with ice.

The dial thermometer I have reads correct at 32 and 212, but is off by 10 degrees in the 140-180 degree range.

Yep. My digital and analog thermometers read freezing and boiling correctly, they just don't agree with each other on temps in the middle. They're within a degree or two but always found that odd.

Thermo's can drive you nuts. The more you buy the crazier it gets. You can spend on an expensive one and hope that it is correct or you can do what I do which is relax and judge if your beer is coming out the way you want it to. If so you have calibrated with the most important tool - your brain.

btw - I've found that digital ones like CDN or Polder in the $20 dollar range are close enough for my brewing purposes although a Thermopen would be nice to have someday.

Mine is a CDN. I might save up for a thermopen later, but first on my list is a mill.

My beer does taste good, I do however get a little bit low efficiency. Maybe it's due to lower temp or something.

Back