How Much Star San in Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAleMaster

Reaction score
I had one of those brew days where nothing went right. I topped it off by knocking up to 1 gallon of Star San into my wort. I went ahead and fermented it. But now that it is nearing completion, I have to ask the question: is that too much Star San in the wort? Every other indicator seems to point to a reasonably healthy beer. I just don't want to take a sip and keel over from Star San poisoning...

... it makes sense to me... I don't know for sure, but I think it'll be fine. Supposedly the yeast break down and eat the star-san.

Topping off a batch with 1 gallon of StanSan solution? although it is no-rinse, I still try to get as little as possible of this into my beer... 1 gallon seems like a lot of unnecessary additive? am I missing something here?

if its star san mix and not straight from the bottle, your MORE than fine. It wouldn't hurt you to drink diluted star san straight.

It's diluted.

The topping off remark was sarcasm. I accidentally knocked some (1 gallon-ish) Star San solution into my chilled wort.

I called Five Star directly and asked. The guy I spoke to said I would not have any super terrible effects. Because it was pre-fermentation and because it was the diluted solution (1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water), the yeast will take care of the Star San (like erock2112 said). The probable side effects on the beer are a foamier than normal head and obviously a different than anticipated taste. The only health side effect he side was that I may get the runs.

At least you pee should be clean....lol I know bad joke.
I wouldn't drink it just knowing there is some sort of chemical in there.

Of course, I add lactic acid and all types of various salts to almost every beer I brew :)

I topped of with diluted star-san a few times when I was doing extracts. IANAD, but it tasted fine. It's mostly just phosphoric acid, right?

I remember Charlie Tally saying (on a pod cast) that the phosphoric acid in star san should be good food for the yeasties...

At least you pee should be clean....lol I know bad joke.

Lots of beers wind up with dextrins, ethanol, dihydrogen monoxide, carbonic acid, and all sorts of other chemicals in them. Even the freshest spring water from remote mountain glaciers is made out of some sort of chemicals.

Turned out fine. Tasted a little off, but only to me and only because I didn't care for the mouth feel. Others have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Good to hear. I racked 11 gallons of wort onto a half gallon of diluted starsan and last week. Im Rollin with it. So far samples have had no off flavors. Fermentation went great. Body seems a bit thinner than planned, probably due to the dilution.

I know this is an older topic but rather than start a new one it might make sense to put it here.

I racked to kegs for the first time from my upgraded Morebeer 1.0 conical w/ the conical 2.0 upgrade kit which allows me to put the blowoff into a bucket. I didn't realize/think/whatever that the blowoff had to be taken out of the sanitizer solution and I didn't realize until I heard the "glug glug" as the sanitizer level reached below the hose that it was sucking the sanitizer into the fermenter as I was filling the first keg.

I see many of you say diluted star san (this was about an ounce to 3 gallons, maybe less than that on the star san to 3 gal for the bucket) is fine pre-ferment but what about any that might have made its way into the keg? It was 11 gallons of beer in the FV at this point. I stopped filling kegs after the first when I noticed it because the beer coming out was 3 degrees plato and the finished product was 4, so it lost a point. There is thus no question that there is some star san solution in the beer but I don't know how much as I noticed when the keg was over 4 gallons full and I let it finish before I tested the beer.

I did test the beer from the keg and it's at 4 plato exactly. The measurement I noted in my brewing sheet says between 4 and 4.25 P but I do know it was closer to 4 than 4.25. So with today's measurement being exactly at 4 there's very, very slight reduction. I tasted it from the measuring cylinder and it smells/tastes okay but I'm super paranoid right now so I'm questioning everything.

I already dumped half the batch (pain) but should I dump the rest?

Crap I just realized this search result was for star san and I used IO Star in the bucket. It says it's safe at 25 ppm or less but I don't know how to calculate it or know if I'm okay.

OK, I am new to this site and new to wine making which I hope someone can help me with even if there are more beer brewers here. I did the same stupid thing where I topped up my wine after racking with what I though was distilled water. Turns out is was about 16 ounces of diluted Star San. I am suposed to bottle in 2 weeks. What will be the impact of this? Should I chuck it or is it safe to drink? What about flavor?

I wouldn't drink a bunch of iodine. Nothing to back that up, but doesn't sound good.

Star San you should be fine.

I just racked a milk chocolate stout from my boil kettle onto about a gallon of diluted star san. Not happy about this but we will see how it turns out. Will let you know in about 8 weeks.

Back