Bottles over-carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahitz3

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know this answer, but I'm not sure how it came to be. I bottled some Oktoberfest over a month ago, using the basic process of adding the packet of dissolved priming sugar that comes in kits.

Problem is, absolutely all of my bottles would shoot foam (almost the consistency of shaving cream) when I open them. One even exploded in the case. Is this a case of over-carbing-and if so how can I fix it? This is my first time bottling, I started ass-backwards by kegging first. So glad I did because its much less annoying than bottling!

:mug:

yes you are over-carbing. i don't think its an infection. my guess would be that fermentation wasn't quite over when you bottled. always make sure that the gravity has stopped falling before you bottle. i would open the bottles and recap. don't add more sugar. any idea how much sugar was in the kit? normal is about a quarter pound (four ounces).

Thanks all for your quick responses..to answer your questions 1) Beer was at final gravity-sat in secondary for 2 months. 2) priming sugar was 4 ounces for a 5 gallon batch..on a side note-the beer didn't taste that good, can an infection over carb it? It's hard to describe the taste-but it couldn't have been green because it was made in July and bottled in October.

Yes, an infection will make gushers & bombs.....

Based on the taste and the 'gushers and bombs' I'm gonna have to agree. Thanks for that info..next year I'll be trying Oktoberfest again! I guess 4 out of my 5 first beers isn't bad!

Amber Ale :rockin:
Fat Tire Clone :drunk:
Nut Brown Ale :mug:
Oktoberfest :(
Cream Ale :rockin:

Back