Bittering Hops for Belgian bonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for Pride of Ringwood @ 9.3% AA. What is a good substitution or is there a better hop for this style? I meant blonde, sorry!

Hallertau, East Kent Goldings or Willamette? They are lower in alphas but pretty typical of Belgians.

Are you cloning a Leffe Blonde?

+1.

Generally you'd want to use a noble hop for a belgian blonde, Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz will all work really well, these are the types typically used in Belgium.

Sometimes they are bittered with Styrian Goldings and then flavoured with a noble variety, but if I were you I'd just go with 100% noble hops, either one addition at the beginning, or one at the beginning for 2/3 of the IBUs and another 1/3 at 30 minutes.

Another +1 to "noble" hops varieties. It may seem a waste, but it's traditional. Continental varieties seem most popular, but Goldings (both types) work well, as do Fuggles. Costs can be kept further under control by using a USA cultivar of Goldings or Fuggles, or even Willamette (a hybrid with a large portion of Fuggles in its lineage).

Pride of Ringwood isn't a bad variety, either - it's just incredibly hard to find.

Bob

Yes. I would like to try the Leffe Blone clone. We really liked this beer when we visited Belgium. Hope we can do it justice. Does the IBU seem right with the hops (9.3 AA @ 1 Oz).

Back