Mead Serving Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
Ok, I have some 750ml bottles of Blueberry varietal mead (not a melomel). It was made with a gallon of honey in 5 gal batch and fermented to just under 1.000. It's been bottled sparkling, with our attempt at about 3 atmospheres.

I have one bottle that's been in my fridge at 41F for three weeks and several more that have been bettween 60 and 51F, currently 53F, for the same three weeks.

At what temperature should I serve this? I'm going to be serving it in a 1.5 liter drinking horn.

I think dryer mead tends to be better cold. Warmed dry meads taste of rubbing alcohol (to me) where sweeter meads tend to be fine at cool or room temp.

I've only had this mead at basement temperatures, probably high 50's last winter or early spring. The drinking horn actually is wide enough that one's nose is inside while drinking, which did a great job of channeling the subtle aroma. I too think it should be a bit colder, but I'm wondering if 41F is too cold. I don't want to shut it down, flavor-wise. Should I maybe pull it out a half hour before serving?

On the other hand, the closest comparison I can think of is champagne and that's usually best served somewhat cold, right?

Personally I like to to drink the dry meads ice chilled.

With a 1.5 litre horn, you can most likely fill it to 1 litre chilled to 38F and by the time your on your last sip it will be at room temperature. If your still able to type after that hopefully you can tell us.

With serving temperature, it's always best to err on the side of too cold. Wine served too warm will not cool off unless you're in a very non-convivial setting, whereas too cold is easily rectified by simply being patient.

That said, I prefer to serve most meads at around 55F. The exception is spiced mead in the winter, which I serve warmed.

I'm still wondering, where can I get a 1.5 litre drinking horn with out it costing an arm and my first born? :)

I'm still wondering, where can I get a 1.5 litre drinking horn with out it costing an arm and my first born? :)

Kahuna

I've made quite a few mead horns for friends. I usually order them from Polished and Unpolished Horns and then finishem them off myself. They're inexpensive here, come in matched pairs and different sizes. Hope this helps.

ty

Back