Fight the COLD!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So you know how they claim that if you run outside in the winter with wet hair, or being wet how you'll catch a cold... you know how some people say that's just a wives tale?

Well, regardless last night during a fire training drill we had to properly demonstrate how to stop/block an activated sprinkler head... needless to say, I got wet.

It was cold, I was wet and today I have a sore throat.

Any pointers on how to beat a cold? I'm not looking forward to getting sick as I have to travel the next few days for work.

Hot Toddie.

Honey, lemon juice and a shot of your favorite booze. Warm it in the microwave or on the stove. Good for what ails ya!

There may be nothing to this, but a zinc supplement right at the onset of a cold seems to nip it in the bud. And sleep. Get as much sleep as you can.

And sex. Get plenty of sex. It'll cure what ails ya...

Seriously, though, ibuprofen can help keep the inflammation down, which just treats the symptoms. Unfortunately, you'll just have to ride it out. Still no cure for the common cold.

If it's a sore throat, gargle with salt saturated water. It dries out the skin, AND the microbes living in the back of your throat. People look at me weird when I suggest this, but gargling with a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide works great with me when I have a sore throat. Just don't swallow it and rinse thoroughly with regular water afterwards.

When I start to feel a cold or flu coming on, I set up for a big night on the scotch or bourbon. I drink at leas half of a 750ml bottle or more on ice, and let it BURN the little bastards (virus) out. I rarely have a cold or flu for more than 3 days.

Nothing can live in my body with that much alcohol in it ;)

Hot Toddie.

Honey, lemon juice and a shot of your favorite booze. Warm it in the microwave or on the stove. Good for what ails ya!

I agree with Bernie but this is how I'd prepare it...

1 tsp brown sugar, 1 thick slice of lemon, 4 cloves, 1 good shot of Irish whiskey and topped up with hot water... Stick the cloves into the lemon so you don't have to worry about choking on them...

To Bernie: your way works too but if I didn't prepare it as I outlined, while working in a pub here, I'd be shot...

Also good is Vitamin C and sleep... Lots of it...

There may be nothing to this, but a zinc supplement right at the onset of a cold seems to nip it in the bud. And sleep. Get as much sleep as you can.

I agree with this. Although, I just buy Zinc tablets...but don't eat them on an empty stomach whatever you do, they'll make you feel sick. And supposedly Vitamin C at the same time is reputed to negate the effectiveness of Zinc, so hold off on the C until maybe later in the day or something.

Latest posts

Back