Primary fermentation only...Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsGoodHead

Reaction score
I have tried "primary fermentation only" and have seen great results in taste. However, I can't seem to get the clarity of my brews like I have in the past (with using a secondary). I carefully used my auto siphon and didn't seem to stir anything up. The carboy never fully cleared like I was expecting. Any suggestions?

Agreed, but never had to before...Thought clarity would be the same as when I used a secondary. Just curious of other's experiences. Thanks for the resonse

Agreed, but never had to before...Thought clarity would be the same as when I used a secondary. Just curious of other's experiences. Thanks for the resonse

Yeah I've definitely seen a lot of people claim that they get equally good clarity without a secondary in some of the threads that discuss "to secondary or not," but I don't have personal experience with this to say exactly what their methods would be.

IME it really depends on the yeast used and how long you give it to flocculate out. I've had no issues getting very clear beer with no use of a second vessel. I don't cold crash or use any other agents to get it to clear, just time.

It was 1 month to the day in the primary, with 2nd generation yeast slurry. I do not yeast wash but again I had clear beers before so I don't see that being the issue. 1 month long enough?

It was 1 month to the day in the primary, with 2nd generation yeast slurry. I do not yeast wash but again I had clear beers before so I don't see that being the issue. 1 month long enough?

What yeast was it? Depending on how you washed it (or how good a job you did) that could be the cause right there.

2nd generation Wyeast 1056 American Ale. Keep in mind this is a yeast I have used many times before(I have never "washed" when re-using slurry) and always had beautiful clear beers when using secondary. I feel as though I must be missing something do to all the successes I have read about not using the secondary. Maybe I wasn't as careful as I thought I was when transferring? However, the carboys were not as clear as I was expecting, but I ASS-UMED it was just yeast on the side of the carboy. I did ferment at a lower temperature then normal...15 degrees c, The culprit?

On a positive note, it taste delicious.

Probably something else with the batch. Cooler temps typically help the yeast to flocculate more/better, providing a clearer brew. Wyeast 1056 has a rather low flocculation rating and also states "Normally requires filtration for bright beers." in the description. I used it for my first two brews, and never again. I've been using yeast that's typically rated either high, or very high, for flocculation. Giving them enough time for that to happen, at lower temperatures, also helps.

Are you getting chill haze in the brew? Are you bottling or kegging? If bottling, try leaving the bottles in the fridge for 2 weeks before you go to pour one out. If kegging, then what carbonation method are you using?

Hmmm...Always get some chill haze, but in time turn crystal clear. I am kegging(and new to it, only 4 brews kegged so far) and force carbonate. I think I have been lucky with 1056 and will try another yeast next. I appreciate your help troubleshooting. I will leave this last brew in the keg for another week and see if it clears.

Hmmm...Always get some chill haze, but in time turn crystal clear. I am kegging(and new to it, only 4 brews kegged so far) and force carbonate. I think I have been lucky with 1056 and will try another yeast next. I appreciate your help troubleshooting. I will leave this last brew in the keg for another week and see if it clears.

I've had better results by using the 2+ week set and forget carbonation method. Most of the time, it sits in the brew fridge (at temperature and under pressure) for 3-5 weeks before getting put on tap. If you did the rapid forced carbonation method, that could be at least part of it. I would also look to use higher flocculation rated yeasts where possible. Luckily, that's one of the stats that Wyeast puts up for each of their yeast strains. :D

Latest posts

Back