Wyeast 2112 - fermented a bit high - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys -

So I got a pretty late start this year on my Oktoberfest and didn't end up brewing it until about the 6th of October. Just racked it over into the keg and on first taste it was a little fruity/solventy. I'm chocking this up to the 1-3 day period where this beer was at 66-68 F using Wyeast 2112. Not something I planned on - one of those uncontrollable instances. I know on the pack it says it retains lager characteristics up to 65, which seems to be the case so far, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of situation with this yeast and what their results were when they eventually tapped it?

I'm planning on letting this one sit around till about christmas and then seeing what happens while those yeasties are working away at it.

#alwaysinspiredbyRevvy'sthread

I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.

Brewtah said:
I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.

I just recently pitched at 85f 2112 in a lager wort. I then brought it to temperature around 62f. I don't see any issue with my first batch ever. However, is there any way of telling if the yeast is dead? I have portions of it floating at the top and bottom.

That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.

That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.

Thanks, ill remember not to get drunk with friends and pitch yeast to wort.

Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!

Yooper said:
Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!

Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back