Milk Wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATD

Reaction score
I bought a book a while back. "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" and it contained an interesting recipie. Milk Wine. It has several different ways to make it, and an amusing story about where the author learned about the wine. So I had to try it. It's been going for about a week now, and has separated into a cottage cheese looking kind of stuff and a whiteish looking liquid. I poured the stuff into a collander lined with cheesecloth like the instructions said and now have a bowl of alchohol smelling cottage cheese and about 3quarts of an interesting smelling "wine" substance. I would have thought it would smell kinda bad but it doesn't. It actually smells kinda good. I'm not quite brave enough to try any of it but I'm trying to get my cats to eat the cheesy looking stuff. :D It's supposed to be high in alchohol content so if they eat it it might be funny.:cross: but currently they aren't eating it:( So anyway, Has anyone else tried making this stuff? Or had a sample from somewhere?

There's a fine line between Milk wine and kefir. I haven't had a milk wine, but I did sample an Israeli wine made from whey. If it smells good, have a swig and let us know. Someone somewhere drank that bubbly barley gruel for the first time.

Holy hell, that sounds like just about the last thing I'd ever want to try.

Then again, I do like me some homemade egg nog...

Evan! said:
Holy hell, that sounds like just about the last thing I'd ever want to try.

:D Thats why I had to try it. It doesn't sound like anything that could possibly be good. It smells kinda good after a little more than a week. I've got a friend willing to try it. I'm still kinda scared of it. but I had to try making it.

It seems to me that the first guy to eat bleu/blue cheese, with plainly visible turquoise mold growing actively through the whole thing, had more at stake than you do, go for it!:rockin:

( I'd try to get one of my redneck "y'all check this out" type of friends over to go first too.)

Matt

Post the recipe. I make cheese and I would be willing to try it.

I used the easiest recipe in the book.

2 Qt Commercial Lactose-free milk
2 lb Cane Sugar, Corn Syrup or Honey
2 Qt Water
1 pkt Champagne yeast for high alcohol, but even bakers yeast works

Dissolve sugar in boiling water and let cool to room temperature and then add milk, It's important to let it cool to not scald the milk. Ferment at 70ish degrees for about a week. after that your milk wine will separate into 3 distinct layers Curd, Whey, and a fine yogurt like layer.
Rack the wine by straining it through a cheesecloth lined collander. put the liquid into a secondary and proceed like other wines racking as nessasary.

This process will yeild about one quart per gallon of cottage cheese curds when you strain it. it is wholesome, good for you, but will hammer you into the ground like a tent peg because it it high in alcohol content. if you don't want to go on a cheese bender rinse it and strain it through cheesecloth to remove the kick.

thats pretty much the recipe I used. I used 2% Lactaid milk and it didn't separate right. I had everything on the bottom with nothing but the whey on top. I would have pitched it all but it smelled too good to throw away. Still not sure If I am going to be brave enough to try it first.:cross:

Racked it into some Mason jars. its been a week with no airlock activity, I like the Jars because the lids tend to just blow off if there is some fermentation going on. going to let them settle a good long while before I even think about trying one. Gotta keep an eye on them for a while to make sure they aren't doing anything wierd. But it will be a while before I try making this again. Anyway, I've got a bottle and an airlock open now, what next?...........

Why not try to perfect the Coca-Cola wine recipe? Search youtube for this (admittingly rather boring two-part video) one. :)

ha! i just watched that youtube video. if someone seriously attempted that, i wonder what it might taste like. funny, just last night my gf asked me if i could make her some wine out of root beer.
here's what i'm thinking...

a gallon of root beer, dextrose to bring the og above 1.10 and red wine yeast Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212

is it possible for this to actually work? my guess is no.

birch. im gonna look into that, interesting. natural sap should be fairly high in sugar. no idea what the results would be. prob rely on the age, health, etc of the tree....hmm....im going to google

eb

I have been wanting to try this recipe from the alaskan bootleggers bible for awhile now and after seeing this forum i decided to go ahead with it. its been fermenting for about 5 days now.

I decided to to go low tech and used a water bottle for the fermenter, a latex glove for the air lock, and plain bakers yeast.

2491697009_46d8cd1f69.jpg

2492517012_d471bdce95.jpg

more pics to come, and also a review of how it tastes.

Remember the movie where the space guys with varicose veins on their heads got drunk off of rotten milk?

I do understand that everything was "Gross" once...but for the love of crap...if this was even marginally good, it would have caught on by now.
I cant think of anything worse than the rotten milk smell that must be emanating throughout your house.

I tried this about a year ago, my recipe involved using the whey left over from some homemade mozzarella and instead of using sucrose/glucose I used a lactaid pill ground up (lactaid is just a lactase enzyme) heated it up to the mashing temp for lactase (when lactose breaks down it becomes glucose and galactose only the glucose is fermentable by normal yeast) and then cooled it and pitched the yeast. you wont get much alcohol this way but it doesnt require adding sugar.
btw it doesnt smell at all like bad milk, the yeast quickly make the whey inhospitable to other bacteria so you dont get spoiled milk the same as what happens with beer, wine, cheese, pickles, vinegar, soy sauce, tofu, and any other controlled fermentation.
It wasnt some thing I would repeat except for the sake of science but its nowhere near as bad as it sounds.
if anyones interested ive read you can use a mesophilic cheese culture with whey to make pickles, the mesophilic culture directly ferments the lactose in the whey into lactic acid to make some very nice sour pickles.

Sorry to dig up old threads but it really isn't that bad of a drink...
One of these is it fermenting. other is of finished product.
Would I make it again?

Matter of fact I have 4 gallons fermenting now

423577_1937059044243_2021012687_n.jpg

562563_2174360816639_797109207_n.jpg

God I just can't imagin what it would taste like. I am not the bigest milk fan but IF I tried this I would shoot to try using Strawberry milk. Is there a describable taste? Is it best served hot or cold? I am just interested now. :confused:

I cannot think of how to describe it. Not really a way to explain the taste. Def not a milk taste.
You could easily make a strawberry version by adding strawberries!
I chill and drink it. Mine came out at 11.8% so its a sipper :)

this sounds horrible but if you like it more power to you, im not going to make this....

I had some friends try it.
One said, dry and sweet at the same time.
Another could not think of any way to describe it at all.

Third person, well he couldn't get past the first sip....

This makes sense. I had thought of making a Milk Liqueur after reading it several places but just couldn't get myself to use the vodka for doing so. It's a blend of milk, vodka/grappa/brandy depending on what's used and makes a drink that looks just like what's in the pint glass a few posts back.

Various recipes have been around involving fruits or chocolate for milk liquers which are said to have a creamy flavor plus whatever else was added.

Using the sugar/yeast mixture to create the alcohol that curdles the milk and causes the proteins to coagulate seems like a good and less expensive idea that using vodka (even a cheap vodka) to do the same thing.

I have a batch of milk liqueur in process and a batch of the chocolate version. I will be filtering it in another week. I stir it daily and taste it and it is amazing. And it looks exactly like the photo in the link (though for the chocolate version I melted my chocolate instead of grating it) I love to experiment! http://gizmodo.com/5869688/how-to-make-milk-thatll-get-you-hammered

I have not made milk wine (it is on my list) but I do make milk kefir (from milk kefir grains) on a daily basis and quite enjoy my probiotic rich fermented milk...think a tangy liquid that is the consistency of buttermilk. I drink it plain, make smoothies, popsicles, bread, soft cheese, use the whey to make lacto-fermented sodas and pickles (not to mention skin toner, hair conditioner)-- all from grains that look like pieces of cauliflower and are able to essentially live forever because they grow and reproduce in milk.

The mongols, under genghis kahn and others only had horse milk wine as an alcoholic beverage. I'm going to try ATD's recipe, I'll post my results.

Well this has become a right of passage at the HBS.
When they have new hires, they must partake to see that ANYTHING can be fermented.

Been interesting to see the reactions over the years :) Especially as it ages LOL

I make a very successful milk wine. Milk wine has body but is low in acid. Here is a simple milk wine recipe.

1 Gallon fat free milk--Whole milk makes farmers cheese--Fat free makes no cheese
1 can lime aid--For the needed acid
7 cups sugar--8 cups is rather sweet
1 Campden tablet crushed
Red Star Champagne yeast

I put 3 pounds of mashed fresh jalapenos and use the finished wine to cook but many friends like to drink it and request it.

You can flavor it with fruit quite successfully but the density of the milk throws off the hydrometer and makes sweetness levels difficult to predict.

6 days in a food grade bucket
6 weeks in a carboy
6 months in a carboy
Bottle and age six months

It makes a perfectly good wine just replace water with fat free milk in your recipe.
20476239_10209770395118777_5495351487604458036_n.jpg

Back