Yeast contamination in my pinot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwood

Reaction score
So I have 114 lbs of pinot noir fermenting in my garage right now. Also I have 5 gallons of apple cider and 5 gallons of pear cider that have finished fermenting last week. I used a champagne yeast for the apple and rudesheim, a riesling yeast, for the pear. For the pinot I wanted to do a native yeast ferment, so I did not inoculate. However I am now really concerned that either the champagne yeast or the rudesheim yeast took over the pinot. Am I crazy in thinking that? And if so should I quickly add a more appropriate yeast to the pinot?
Help?! Thanks!

Additional information:
Grapes picked: 10/12
Specific Gravity: 10/12-1.090 (I know a little low)
Cold soak: 10/12-10/22
Kept at 70 degrees:10/22-
Specific Gravity: 10/26-1.069

What makes you think one if the cultured yeasts make it into your Pinot!

I guess because they are all next to each other? Granted the ciders are in carboys with airlocks, but the pinot is just in a 24 gallon bucket (with lid). Could the strong healthy yeast populations from the ciders go through an airlock and get into the bucket? Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

marwood said:
I guess because they are all next to each other? Granted the ciders are in carboys with airlocks, but the pinot is just in a 24 gallon bucket (with lid). Could the strong healthy yeast populations from the ciders go through an airlock and get into the bucket? Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

If they are all in sealed containers, it is unlikely.

marwood said:
Ah ok.

Has anyone had success with using native yeast?

If it works, great. If it doesn't you won't be happy.

Use cultured packet yeast.

Back